• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1083 AO Transmission fan

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took my truck out for a spin around town the other day ! Hills /stop and go traffic and the main engine fan was starting to cycle and it got me to thinking how could i test the trans fan mounted on the frame to make sure its working correctly ?????

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s unlikely you will ever see those fans come on. Just have to find the sensor and unplug it I’m sure. They normally default to a failure=on mode.
OK i cant say that ive ever heard it come on i thought maybe there was a way to jump a wire or something simple to cycle them ! Thanks

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s unlikely you will ever see those fans come on. Just have to find the sensor and unplug it I’m sure. They normally default to a failure=on mode.
Oh and 2 other questions ! did you ever put a price on the bent up a1r grill you said you had ? And are you going to oct 6/7/8/9 tn. rally ?

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The trans fans should come on with the engine fan. I can look it up this afternoon but pretty sure aux cooling relay works in concert with fan control solenoid valve...
I was driving when the main engine fan came on so i dont know if the trans fans came on or not and do you know at what temp the engine fan is supposed to come on the water temp gauge ?

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think i would like a rocker switch on the dash to turn them on when i wanted but in the off pos they would work normally

Ronmar

No problem. The thing with the fans is that they are inverse control. They provide power to keep the aux cooler relay and solenoid energized, which keeps the fans off. The thermal switch is normally closed providing the 24V and opens at 205F to de-energize the engine fan control solenoid and relay K15. CB22 provides the power for the fan solenoid, K15 aux cooler relay and the ether system.

To test your aux fans, simply pull CB22 and turn on the main switch. This will keep k15 from energizing and the aux fans should spool up as soon as 24V ignition power is applied. If they don’t, check that K15 is a 5 pin relay, and that power is making it thru CB68 which provides the fan motor power…

Unless you are pulling a real heavy load, the aux coolers may not see much play anyway. The fans will cycle with the engine fan, but unless the trans oil is getting real hot, the thermal diverter is probably not sending much oil to them…

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks