• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

11 gallons of oil?

Francis89

I’m wondering how this is possible? I’ve had my deuce for about a year and I decided it’s time to change the oil. I also changed out some gaskets as I started getting some oil leaks as of recently. So I warmed up the truck before changing the oil. Somehow about 11 gallons of oil came out. Crazy. I filled a 5 gallon bucket twice and whatever dumped on the ground from swapping buckets. I haven’t had any motor issues other than some oil leaks around the turbo oil feed hose and the oil Pan.

I can’t find any threads on oil overfill. What do you all think? Could this cause any major problems? No shavings in the pan or on the plugs at all. So that’s a good sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did the oil seem thin or smell like diesel?

Assuming that it wasn't just overfilled, the injectors could be leaking fuel into the cylinders.
This can cause the cylinder walls/rings to get washed down. The lack of oil would then lead to piston/cylinders wear.
Also, the diesel will thin out the oil, not allowing proper protection of the bearings.
That might also explain the new leaks. Thinner oil, higher levels.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search for Deuce making oil. Likely culprits include the flame heater for cold starting and the injection pump hydraulic head o-rings.

The diesel fuel thins out the motor oil, causes seals to leak and drastically reduces the lubricity of the oil. Damage will follow.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Francis89

Did the oil seem thin or smell like diesel?

Assuming that it wasn't just overfilled, the injectors could be leaking fuel into the cylinders.
This can cause the cylinder walls/rings to get washed down. The lack of oil would then lead to piston/cylinders wear.
Also, the diesel will thin out the oil, not allowing proper protection of the bearings.
That might also explain the new leaks. Thinner oil, higher levels.
It did seem more thin than what it should be, but I was just thinking someone put the wrong viscosity and it probably hadn’t been changed in a while. It also did smell a little strong. But I don’t think it’s 5 gallons of fuel though.

I still have a 5 gallon bucket full of the oil. Shouldn’t the fuel and oil separate after a while? Makes sense that fuel could be bleeding through. How could I check for the injectors leaking. Also does anyone have a civi p/n for them?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
There is five ways to increase the crankcase lube oil level that I know of.
Just change the oil and monitor the level before every startup as one should do as an operator. There is hundreds of posts on multi fuel crankcase "overfill", they just aint titled as that.

Just change the oil and filters and maintain the truck and pretty soon you will find the problem, if there is one.

If you would like it to run good for long time than change the lube oil.
If you do not know last time oil and filters (fuel filters too) than you have disadvantaged yourself greatly.

.... How about intrusion of coolant into lube oil destroys engine bearings in short order.
You own and maintain it.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It did seem more thin than what it should be, but I was just thinking someone put the wrong viscosity and it probably hadn’t been changed in a while. It also did smell a little strong. But I don’t think it’s 5 gallons of fuel though.

I still have a 5 gallon bucket full of the oil. Shouldn’t the fuel and oil separate after a while? Makes sense that fuel could be bleeding through. How could I check for the injectors leaking. Also does anyone have a civi p/n for them?

If you have a burning desire to know what is in your oil - other than oil - or to confirm that it was simply overfilled, you can gather a sample and send it off for analysis.

Blackstone Laboratories, Inc. in Fort Wayne, Indiana. You can search for them online, fill out a form and they will send you sample bottles and instructions on how to return them for examination.

To find threads about the process and others experience with their service, search with just the word "blackstone" in the SS search.

Just to make sure it is clearly stated: I am not an employee of that company. I get nothing for the recommendation. Just something I discovered in discussions here and have used in the past. They will evaluate motor oil, transmission oil and gearbox oils. THIS IS NOT A SOLICITATION nor ENDORSEMENT.

Francis89

Search for Deuce making oil. Likely culprits include the flame heater for cold starting and the injection pump hydraulic head o-rings.

The diesel fuel thins out the motor oil, causes seals to leak and drastically reduces the lubricity of the oil. Damage will follow.

That did make me think of something. The injectors don’t have any wetting around them, but the injection pump does have alot of fuel all over it after every drive. Maybe I’ll have to get a rebuild kit for it.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read a few threads...its 3 o rings for the shutoff and hydraulic head. And delete flame heater....

I agree with Frank but would do the above before I run the truck with new oil. You do not want $100 worth of oil get diluted again. That way, at least you addressed the most likely causes. If it still leaks fuel into the crank case after that, it is one of the more rare causes, such as the fuel booster pump on the IP.

Francis89

You got it. I just found that rebuild video on YouTube and that’s exactly it. The injection pump hydraulic head o-rings. Makes sense for all the fuel all over the damn thing. When I got the truck I did take apart the shutoff lever and noticed fuel building up inside the cover. Didn’t think much of it though cause I didn’t know.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has the fuel density compensator been bypassed yet? This is a very common problem when the FDC leaks fuel into the crankcase. If the FDC hasn't been bypassed you should go ahead and bypass it. If it hasn't failed, it will fail in the future. You don't need the FDC for multifuel capability.

Francis89

There is five ways to increase the crankcase lube oil level that I know of.
Just change the oil and monitor the level before every startup as one should do as an operator. There is hundreds of posts on multi fuel crankcase "overfill", they just aint titled as that.

Just change the oil and filters and maintain the truck and pretty soon you will find the problem, if there is one.

If you would like it to run good for long time than change the lube oil.
If you do not know last time oil and filters (fuel filters too) than you have disadvantaged yourself greatly.

.... How about intrusion of coolant into lube oil destroys engine bearings in short order.
You own and maintain it.
Yeah good point. I always do a walk around before I start it up. But that’s one thing I hadn’t been checking. I’ve been chipping away at fixing the deuce. When I changed the fuel filters I could see a stamp reading 87. They were completely shot. About 2 inches of sludge in the bottom of the bowls. Oil filters looked really good. I inspected the pan for shavings of any sort and it didn’t have any. It was surprisingly very clean. Must be from the diesel. Cooling system will be my next project on it. It looks clean other than slight corrosion forming in the radiator.

Francis89

Has the fuel density compensator been bypassed yet? This is a very common problem when the FDC leaks fuel into the crankcase. If the FDC hasn't been bypassed you should go ahead and bypass it. If it hasn't failed, it will fail in the future. You don't need the FDC for multifuel capability.
Thanks I didn’t know about this. Great info though. I’ll be doing a bypass while I’m changing o-rings

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That did make me think of something. The injectors don’t have any wetting around them, but the injection pump does have alot of fuel all over it after every drive. Maybe I’ll have to get a rebuild kit for it.

In my experience, another place fuel on the outside of the IP can come from is simply loose injector lines at the head, but that aluminum reference plate on top of the head makes it a PITA to determine where the leak is coming from. I took that plate off, and have marked the line #'s with an oil marker on the head itself. I just keep the aluminum plate in a drawer for reference in case I need to remark the head.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks