• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

11Rx20s Handling Poorly

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello to all. I have owned my deuce for several years and decided to replace my 9x20 ndcc with 11Rx20 in dual configuration. I have all the tires mounted and bolted on truck except for two. I decided to take the truck for a test drive without the front rear outer duals on. The truck hopped at 30 mph, kinda felt like cold bias plys. Once I got on the main road the truck wandered severly and it took alot of effort to keep it in the lane...very scary. I was very unhappy. The tires are in excellent shape, most brand new. Im running 75psi, max is 120psi. What psi would be recommend for these goodyears? Could the truck handle this poorly with 75psi in the tire and no outer duals on the front rear axle? Would a steering stablizer help? Once again the truck handled great with the dry rotted bald 9X20s. Something not right. Any help would be great, thanks

rdixiemiller

RE: Re: tires

My deuce with singles wandered a lot until I pulled the interaxle drive shaft out. It came with street tread radials straight out of the Army. The radials have a much larger contact patch than the NDCC's and really stick to the road. With desplined hubs it handled better, with the interaxle shaft out it drives like a big PU. I have the regular drive flanges on the front again, because with only the middle axle pulling you can get stuck on wet grass!
Pop out an axle shaft on the front tandem and see if your problems go away.
I run 65psi in my tires.

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
they are radial goodyear g177. What about not having outer duals on F rear axle yet? I also seen a post about m35tom changing the camber or caster because of the power steering swap. Any reason to change with manaul steering and radials?

littlebob

When I pulled my M51 Trailer from Wreckermans place, It pulled with a lot of vibration till I got the tires warmed up, about a hundred miles.If the tires were mounted and sat underinflated they may have developed the same type of flat spot. After the tires warmed up I was able to run close to eighty pulling it with Suburban and except for the weight it was smooth. I wouldn't go looking to change anything till I had a few miles on it and the tires had a chance to heat up and see if that didn't solve your problem.

littlebob

ems4ty

I just changed over from 9x20 to 11x20 NDCC tires and have 50PSI in them all around on my M35 and don't have any problems other than it being a little more sluggish on the take off from a stop. Other than that, I'm really happy with the new treads. I also replaced my front shocks as well and that seems to have evened out the bumps in the road when felt through the steering wheel. Just my .02 cents... Cya!

houdel

littlebob said:
It pulled with a lot of vibration till I got the tires warmed up, about a hundred miles.If the tires were mounted and sat underinflated they may have developed the same type of flat spot. littlebob
Flat spotting was a common problem with nylon corded bias ply tires, but I've never heard of it on polyester or steel corded radial tires. I doubt the missing outer front rear duals would create the problem either, but I've been wrong at least once.

My guesses as to the problem you describe would be (in order of likelihood) flat spots on the tires if they are surplus tires; improper tire pressure (may be either too high or too low depending on the dynamics of your particular vehicle); or tires out of balance.

Ain't much you can do about flat spots unless you can identify the flat spots and mount your flat spotted tires on the same hub with the flat spots 180 degrees from each other to cancel out the condition. Tire pressures you can play with until all the air on Planet Earth is gone.

Out of balance tires is not a real common problem with bias ply tires and even less of a problem with radials, but it does happen. My Deuce's rear axles hopped around like a green bareback bronco at the Rodeo. Unfortunately, the fix is not easy unless you live in a metro area with lots of HD truck tire centers. There are a few places which spin balance the front tires while mounted on the vehicle, which works very well. There are far fewer places which will balance HD truck tires OFF the vehicle, i.e.your rear tires. After several days of searching I did find a place quite a distance from me which could balance Deuce sized tires off the vehicle, at $25 per tire, $250 for the entire vehicle set.

If you have more time than money, you could check your tires by yourself and then mount on the vehicle them so the out of balance condition is offset for each dual pair. Try this, it is a lot of work though! Take all 10 (or 11) tires off the vehicle. Mount them one at a time on the same front hub, the one which spins most easily. Spin them by hand. They will rotate for a time and then come to a stop, generally with the heaviest part of the tire on the bottom. Mark the heavy spot on each tire. Do this a couple times for each tire to make sure you have the true heavy spot. Try to approximate the relative amount of out of balance by rotating the heavy spot of each tire to the 12 o'clock position and timing how long it take for the heavy spot to rotate on its own to 6 o'clock.

Take the two least out of balance tires (least time for the heavy spot to rotate to 6 o'clock) and mount them on the front. Then match up 8 tires in pairs by the amount of out of balance - the two tires which were the quickest to rotate from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock as one pair, then the next two quickest, etc. Mount each pair on the same hub with the heavy spots 180 degrees apart. This will allow each tire on a hub to counter balance the other tire on the same hub, effectively balancing each pair of tires on the same hub.

Not perfect, but a way to achieve a reasonable tire balance at no/low cost, albeit at a lot of operator effort!

ironhorsethegeneral

We have 1100x20 tires on both of our trucks. One truck has the Michelin radials. I have not had any problems with them at all except I do run my radials at a higher air pressure than the NDCC. I have noticed a little more road noise with the Michelins but no steering problems or wheel hop.

emr

if U have an airshift dont listen ,if U have a sprag that can cause this, Local real tire shops have blown in tire balencer not expensive at all, if U have an air shift and all the lugs are seated squarly , AND U are shure that a rim is not bent maybe it was on the rear before? try putting another set from the back up front before going to crazy, makeing sure a tire doesnt have a blem . if all ok i would go with the blown in balence stuff next, ...R%andy

dirtyfingernails

I made the same conversion and had a similar problem. I had to fight it to keep it straight. Found out the front right wheel/tire was severely out of balance. I put a different tire/wheel on the right front and it drove just as nice as it did with the NDCCs (I had 3 extra--bobbed duece). I run 60 psi in the front tires and 50 in the rears.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I put the 11.00X20 on the M35, the first 100 or so miles was ROUGH. They had been on a forestry service M211 that had been sitting for years... But then they were fine, singled out and 50psi.