• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

11x20 VS 395 offroad performance

Hey everyone!
I just wanted to say thanks for all the input, comments and info shared so far.

Really appreciate it.

I am leaning towards 11.00x20s right now. If I were back in Maine then I agree with the chains comments. I never saw a skidder without them either.
Kansas though is pretty.........blah.....the worst stuff I have seen here so far is
that slick clay mud.

So please, keep coming with the info, especially you folks running 11.00x20s.

Also any input on what brand of 11.00x20s you prefer and if anyone has a good deal on them right now.

It would be interesting to get together with some other members running different tires and compare how they go.

tm america

thread vs thread xls are a great all around tire .they have a higher weight rating than the ndts.11.00s came on them stock 14.5s are the same height as the 11.00s but give you a bigger contact patch.they are what they run on the a3 .you can get a xl xzl or xml in a 11.00.11.00s will give you a top speed of around 62 15.5s or 395s will give you a top speed of around 69 just another thing to think about:roll:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why limit yourself to just those 2 sizes of tire. The 14.5R20 is a great choice for the deuce, probably why the -A3 got them. Same height as the 1100 with a little wider footprint. Less clearance issues all the way around. My ultimate plan is 14.5s on the front and 1100 on the rear in duals. One day..........

tm america

i.vee seen trucks with 14,5s in the front and 11.00s in the back they look cool but duals dont do very good in mud or snow or rain or ........ singles rule duals drool. do they have a drooling smiley:?:

OK, for some reason I thought 395s and 14.5s were just about identical in size.
Did not know the 14.5s were the same height as a 11.00....good to know.

How much wider are the 14.5s than the 11.00?
Should they be mounted on wider than stock rims?

Hmmm, something else to think about.....

tm america

they are around 5 inches wider tread than the 11.00s and both 11.00s and 14.5s should use different rims than the 9.00s both both have been mounted on stock rims without any problems.i have my 15.5s mounted on stock rims.395s and 15.5s are 46inches tall and 14,5s an11.00s are 43inches tall

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i.vee seen trucks with 14,5s in the front and 11.00s in the back they look cool but duals dont do very good in mud or snow or rain or ........ singles rule duals drool. do they have a drooling smiley:?:
Your opinion may have changed at the GA Rally after watching the truck with the 1100 dualed 'Stones tear the place up. While I agree that singles are better in many areas, I much prefer the look and redundancy of the duals. Your mileage may vary!

conductorx

I am following this thread with great interest, and it is obvious you all know what tires you are talking about. But I am lost.

The stock deuce tires and wheels are 9.00 x 20.

What size is the 14,5, 11.00 and 395?
What is the tread width?
What is the actual tire size?
What brands of tire are you speaking of?
What does the tread pattern look like?
Are these MV only or offroad only tires?

Thanks
"G"

tm america

it did take some getting use to the look of singles but with the difference in how much better it drives .i am ussually smiling so hard i dont look at the tires and say man i wish i had the look of singles stuck in the mud.i say wow i cant believe i made it through that .:roll:if you like the looks of duals you will get alot of time to see them when they are floating on top of the mud and the front is dug down to china .just like mine was in the pics.dual 9.00s didnt have enough weight capacity for what i do with the truck i blew out many tires over loading them but havent had a problem with the 15.5s .11.00 dual hold more weight than9.00s but i will take singles over duals any day .to me the only con of singles is not being able to use the duals as a winch if needed

emr

i guess we need one,but it would be for the singles here...;-)... deuls sure do awesome in mud snow and rain, never had a problem, singles will brake free way before a set of comparable sized type tire ever will. U mention footprint , deuls double it, and even if they are not the same, 2 1100s are still more footprint than a 395 .Stability is why when loaded the military prefers deuls for cargo on road, and oh yes they do. as for the new trucks being fielded they are singled from the start , but a loaded cargo only truck will always be more stable with deuls .

tm america

the tires we are talking about are all dot approved.they are on-offroad tires 11.00s are 43inches tall and have a 9 inch tread width.14.5s are 43 inches tall and have a 14.5 inch wide tread pattern and 15.5s and 395s are 46inches tall and have a 15.5 inch wide tread.do a search for goodyear tire specs on goolge there is a chart of the different tires and pros and cons and specs for each of the xl,zxl ,and xml .you can look up corker tire to get specs on the ndts 9.00s , 11.00s,14.00s,and 16.00s ndts are bias ply tires and the others are radial belted

tm america

the military ran duals for redundacey before they came out with run flats now they run singles on everything .dual 9.00s have almost identical size footprints as 395s.but in mud singles do better due to the fact the dont loose traction from the wheels being packed full of mud and lifting the treads off the ground .if you look at the picks of my truck stuck you will see the mud packed between the duals the rear were actually smoking but got no traction since the treads were barely riding on the ground

tm america

i agree with the flats being an issue with singles but it is fixed with run flats. i also keep a tire hammer and tires bars and spare tubes with me on long trips .put 30000lbs in the back of a deuce with duals and as soon as one tire fails the other one with it fails really quickly to. leaving you two tires to fix instead of one .trust me i know all about it first one caught a nail second blew a block later from not being able to handle the load.9.00s are rated at 4000-4500 single and 3000-3800 as duals 15.5s are rated at 14500 as singles hmm doesnt take much to figure out why i run them.even 11.00s only have a 5900 rating as singles

tm america

i'm use to a little more serious mud .i dont consider it mud if a jeep on 33s can make it through.are those mt bearclaws on the ih .i could have driven my f150 or bronko through there in two wheel driven no chains.this is my bronko on a fullsize tahoe, and others are of my deuce in some real mud with some hills:roll:

Attachments

tm america

oh i never said the f150 was stock.44s spool in the back 4 barrel 351 cleveland built trans stall convertor but 44s are still smaller than 49s idleing is cool and all .but getting through the deep stuff requires a drive it like you stole it driver attitude most of the time.deuces are built to take all an unskilled driver can throw at it and come back for more.you can chain up we will play follow the leader at haspin and see who makes it where :roll:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks