• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12” Brake Caliper Driver Side Install Help me please~

HmmwvTim

The truck came without front brakes. I was able to get one side on by inserting one pad and squeezing the other one in by holding the caliper forward a bit. The driver side doesn’t have room in the front unfortunately. Has anyone installed a brake on an ecv with 12” solid rotors (Driver side)? A how to fit this in instructions would be nice.

Attachments

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is not the A2 version. Just the standard m1165. I have removed the radiator stack, lower guard bar and horn.
1165 is the same as a A2 frame wise...unless you have an 1165A1, 1152A1 Rev which has different rails, brakes, Etc...

Reactions: cwc

HmmwvTim

Welp… you were right… had to disconnect the half shaft and pop the disk off the hub and let it rest in the bolts to give it enough clearance and wiggle room to get the caliper and pads on the bracket.

Best design ever. maybe it would have fit better with the 10” disk. Might be a good reason to no do the 12” conversion for those who are thinking of it. Lol25B2F561-4D54-4516-BA84-95AE5EFCE6FD.jpeg

Action

It is not the A2 version. Just the standard m1165. I have removed the radiator stack, lower guard bar and horn.
Tell me you didn't remove all of that to install a caliper....
12" rotors are fine. We do not change pads and calipers every month.
If you had an m1165a1 instead of the m1165, pad changes just require pulling a pin and removing the pads.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A2 on up to ECV, than REV came out with wilwood brakes. Either way…drivers side HS has to come off. I do a brake job every couple of weeks on these trucks.

HmmwvTim

Tell me you didn't remove all of that to install a caliper....
12" rotors are fine. We do not change pads and calipers every month.
If you had an m1165a1 instead of the m1165, pad changes just require pulling a pin and removing the pads.
I did not remove these just for this job. Had to do a lot of stuff in that area. I do not have the wilwood calipers. I have solid disks and normal calipers. I do not have the A1. As you can see from the photos, either the halfshaft had to go to offset the the disk from the hub or i would have had to remove the caliper backing from the pins to give me the clearance angle from the caliper. I didn’t want to do that because if I were to put the pins back on through the caliper to the back plate, the threads would have been greased up and will cause it to fall out later on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks