• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1200-20 goodyear radials on 816 now

martinsaunders06

just finnished fitting a set of goodyear 1200-20 radials onto my 816, i bought surplus some years back a dutch army tyre changing kit which made getting the old crossply bargrips off easy. Truck now stands 2.5 inches taller and with the duals i think they look good and are rated 18 ply and nearly 8000 lbs per tyre where the bargrips were rated 5200 lbs. On hard turn there is about half inch gap between tyre and spring assembly/suspension . Tyres are ex uk military surplass and were new or as new having only been mounted on rims and at £100 a tyre was good value here in uk . martin

Attachments

Last edited:

RetiredNavy

Anything is better than those NDT that some trucks have. Those were pretty useless. BTW, nice looking truck you have. Those tires seem to make a difference.

martinsaunders06

these 1200 radials have straighter side walls than the old 1100 bargrips which bulged out more in the sidewalls so they have a larger squarer foot print being 1200 and are not massively wider if measured acoss the sidewalls so dont rub on the rears and stand taller as well. A lot heavier as well so when spare is painted it will be a 2 man job to lift onto carrier which will be a conker breaker if i have to lift out on my own for a puncture. Inspired by jwaller i put a turbo on this truck a few years back and it runs and sounds great so now running out of things to tinker with at weekends now? martin

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
How about some more info on the right hand crane truck in pics #2 and 3

The truck in photo 3 and 4 is a stripped down M818 with a boom installed. We use it the most because there are a lot less hoops to jump through for day to day boom work, but it's nice to have the 816's around for heavy work and pulling the 40,000 pound boats.

martinsaunders06

Great looking truck and I bet it's quite a rare sight in the uk!
Thankyou, yeah i know of 3 more 816 cummins trucks tho there are quite a few petrol and multifuel earlier stuff about.. The reason for the tyre change was not to make look better but i had 5 worn out bargrips and here in england parts availability comes and goes with the weather and new bargrips are expensive IF you can find them so in the long run it was as cheap and alot easier to change the lot, i envy you boys as you have access to any part any time and at prices we would kill for . Great last set of pics hauling that large boat marinawrecker. martin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks