• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12g wire for grounding harness?

Ang2gna

I am going to make my own grounding harness like the one sold online and all I could find at the two hardware stores and tractor supply is 12 gauge. Is this big enough for the ground or should I continue my search for 10g? Thanks.

icecreamman

Try a welding supply place. Fine stranded very flexible welding/grounding cable usually cut by the foot. Get solder-on eyelets and a lb of resin core solder and make your own:)

Ang2gna

I'd mention the website that sells the harness I'm talking about so you can see it, but I don't know if that's allowed.

Robus1022

Also call local car-audio installers. All of the good ones keep 500ft rolls of every gauge for grounding all sorts of things. They WILL sell you cut-to-length(dont expect exact) for a reasonable price.

tim292stro

I am going to make the grounding harness that runs the generator, body, starter, and PCB Box, to the engine ground.
EEEKK!!! That needs to be MUCH larger than 12Ga/10Ga. The generator (alternator, 100Amps), and starter (up to 1500Amps) will ground through the engine, but steel has about 10% the conductivity of copper (and power has to jump through gaskets and bolts). From the negative post of the low 12V battery, go with a 2 gauge or thicker wire to the alternator, 0 gauge to the starter, and 8-10 gauge to the engine block itself and another 8-10 gauge for the PCB (where all the power for the rest of the chassis splits from).

Ang2gna

EEEKK!!! That needs to be MUCH larger than 12Ga/10Ga. The generator (alternator, 100Amps), and starter (up to 1500Amps) will ground through the engine, but steel has about 10% the conductivity of copper (and power has to jump through gaskets and bolts). From the negative post of the low 12V battery, go with a 2 gauge or thicker wire to the alternator, 0 gauge to the starter, and 8-10 gauge to the engine block itself and another 8-10 gauge for the PCB (where all the power for the rest of the chassis splits from).
I think I may have been a little muddy in explaining what I want to do. That's my fault. I want to make the harness that kascar sells and everyone recommends installing. I have seen how to make it explained on flashoffroad but I think he uses 8 or 10 gauge wire. I'm not replacing any existing wires. I just want the mentioned grounds grounded to the back of the engine like the kit is supposed to. I could just buy the premade kit but I can't spend the $70 right now. This is a cheaper option right now.

Ang2gna

I just think skimping on grounding will result in a fire. But thats just my opinion...
I do too. That's why I want to make sure I use the correct gauge. I'm pretty sure in the post "glow plug gospel" even mentioned making your own. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

TedG

Harness is Prestolite 10 gauge, 1oz. wire. It's for bonding all components, not made for loads.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Harness is Prestolite 10 gauge, 1oz. wire. It's for bonding all components, not made for loads.

Jeeeze...thank you Ted....just buy the harness from kascar, no fuss, all done.
i used to make mine, while maybe at 1/2 the cost...but my time is worth more then the 40.00 I saved.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks