• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12v or 24v

Florida9

i need to replace my starter and i have 2 batterys and 2 alternators hooked up and when i test the red wire that goes to the starter it is reading 12v but i thought it was a 24v starter it looks original i cant really read the numbers but it says delco remy on it

ChiefMinion

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sounds like parallel.

If it is series, the (+) from the front battery should be running to the (-) on the rear battery.

Picture(s)?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pictures.

When you installed the HUMVEE engine, did you read the wiring diagrams to make sure everything was put back correctly?

Last edited:

ChiefMinion

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should have been more specific. Sorry about that. What I was looking for in a picture was the batteries and how the cables connect to the bus on the firewall.

How much voltage from that upper bus on the firewall to the frame? If it is 12, then I'm thinking you have a 12 volt system and the batteries are feeding it in parallel. That probably means 12 volt starter.

Of course since I'm not peering over the side of your truck holding my own beer, this is just a guess...

Florida9

front battery

+ goes to top row #1 on firewall
- goes to bottom row #2 on firewall

rear battery

+ goes to top row #1 on firewall
- goes to bottom row #2 on firewall

there are 4 wire 2 black and 2 red

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
12v conversion.

Your wiring doesn't look stock. The previous owner converted to 12v and didn't do a very good job of it.

If you want to stay with it, consider the rosscommonequipment conversion.

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wiring diagrams are in the Tech Manuals.

Take it one step at a time and you will get it done.

Work on the:

alternators
12v Terminal Block
24v Terminal Block
Batteries
Starter

DonK

Florida9 Newb...You need to make a big decision here, do you want to keep the 12V conversion or go back to the As Built. At this point, I'd suggest sticking with the conversion, straighten out what you have and try to understand it. If your not familiar with Electrical System and how/why they do what they do, you might be better off. You'll find that the Old Guys are usually right. I've done alot of work on my oh-9 and my bro's oh-8 over the past few months and having the TM (that my wife printed out for me) has come in handy. So...what voltage do you messure at the starter when you turn the key to Start? That might tell you something. I'm not trying to be a SA..:cool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks