• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12v question

dstang97

Can i run a 12v winch and a whelen 12v lightbar? I know some is 12v and some is 24v. would that be too much amperage for the 12v part?

Blood_of_Tyrants

The only part that is 24 v on a CUCV is the starter. In essence, all the upper 12v alternator does is charge the battery while the lose 12v alternator runs the truck and all the accessories. If you put the winch and lightbar on the lower 12v system, you will be fine.

mangus580

Which would be considered the lower alternator:?:
Yes... inquiring minds want to know :)

I think B-o-T was referring to the M1010 setup.

Most CUCVs use the Drivers side alternator for 12v, and the pass side for the 'additional voltage' needed to make the 24v.

If you look at my avatar, you see I have a Federal Jetstream lightbar on my truck. It is tied to the front battery.

For your winch, I would suggest maybe adding a battery in parallel to the front battery. (depending on how much you intend to actually use the winch, and for how long) Providing additional reserve capacity on the 12v system.

Blood_of_Tyrants

To find out which battery is the upper half, simply measure the voltage on the positive terminal to ground. The upper battery will show about 27 vdc and the lower battery will show 13.5 vdc. The alternator will show the same.