• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12V Starter on M1008

DooDooBrown

I searched and discovered previous posts on this problem. I recently had a starter replaced on my M1008 and I think a 12volt was put on. I have not had any problems yet but would like to fix it quick before I do. I think I am just going to go ahead and do the 12V conversion. Does anyone have any input? Should I replace any parts that could have been damaged? The truck starts fine and I have not had any trouble with it yet, but I am trying to stay ahead of the game.

Thank you in advance!

Westech

CPL
If it starts fine I would leave it. Really when starting I bet the volts drop down to 18 or so. Not really enough to fry a 12V. I have seen many guys leave the 6V starter in old cars and install12V charging systems. If your worried about it change the main power wine (as found in past posts) and give it a try. If it is a 24V starter it for sure will crank slow.

DooDooBrown

This thread has me worried about it

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=29462&highlight=12V+Starter

also, I would think converting it to a 12V system would make it easier and cheaper to work on. Is that not true? What make the 24V system easier to work on? The advantage I see with the 12V system is what I learned from owning 80's range rovers. With the 12V system you can use standard GM 12V starters and Alternators easily procured anywhere in the US. Also, when you bring in a 24V M1008 to a shop, its hard for them to wrap there heads around it.

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
the 24V system is very ez to work on. you have 200 amps of power to use and the drive side alternators can be found at any parts store. Its just a large case GM, found in mid to late 70's cars and trucks. The passenger side has to have a isolated ground. It too can be ordered most places or any starter/alternator shop can build one. Also can be found on www.ODiron.com for 160 ish. When you change over to 12V the glow plug system has a hard time working properly as its "tuned" to sense the volt drop in the 24V system. I know I will get jumped for stating that and there will be a couple of guys who say they have done it with no problem and there all that and a bag of chips. But it was made to work on the 24V system and I might add Works damn good when the glow plugs are the correct ones and not all burnt out. Really for the hassel of rewiring and trying to figure out why your truck stopped charging or started on fire leve it 24V.

dmc-4359

I rewired my m1009 in about 30 minutes to be 12 volt. I wouldn't venture it as being too much of a hassle. I don't have the glow plug controller though, I just have a switch in the dash to manually cycle them.

My reasons for converting to 12v were not related to inherent issues with the trucks though. A previous owner had really messed up the wiring and I needed to isolate all of the important pieces (lights, starter, glow plugs, fuel solenoid) with my own circuits so I could be sure that the thing wouldn't catch fire or leave me stranded.

Mike_Pop

I've run both the 24V and 12V starters in my M1009. The 12V will spin faster and wear out faster. You won't fry it on 24 volts. Just be careful when starting more than once. Make sure it stops spinning before you turn the key again. I've broken teeth off of a 12V starter that way.

If you can't find a replacement 24V starter, it's easy to get a 12V from any auto parts store. I now carry a spare 12V starter in my truck in case of any problems.

m38inmaine

I converted a M1009 because I put a plow pump on and needed the space/pulley and the 12v starter does not work as well as the 24 did. A 24v starter draws less amps and is much better, especially in cold weather. I will never convert another one. Brand new 24v starters are on ebay for $125.