• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12V Winch

DooDooBrown

I recieved a Warn 12V 15000lb winch for a song and a dance. I know about "how bad" it is to run 12V things off a 24V system. I have searched on here for the best way to hook it up with little luck. I also emailed Warn about a replacement motor and controller. It was like 700 dollars for both. Has anyone on here hooked one up to there 24V CUCV? What worked and what didn't.

Thank you in advance

DooDooBrown

Yeah, I am trying to figure out the best way to mount it up front. I would like to mount it hidden like the Pettersons truck, but its pretty big. A lot bigger than the M1200 I had on another truck. If anyone has any ideas I am more than open to suggestions. Whatever I do. I will get some picts up.

hypgnostic

I'm interested in this one too. I've been toying around putting a winch on mine as soon as I get the rest of the body work restored...

mangus580

Now thats what I would LOVE to do with mine. My biggest fear is that in the Salt Capital, that it would be bad for the winch to live up there all the time.

AJMBLAZER

A friend of mine killed his winch in a year of driving in Michigan road salt. It worked perfect when he bought his Jeep but despite regular cleanings and one of those canvas covers they sell for them it was dead the next wheeling season. The wiring was corroded as could be and he had to redo most of it and the solenoids.

If I ever have the money a front and rear frame mounted hitch setup will host a removable winch.

AJMBLAZER

Yeah but you still have it eating away at your cable and all the exposed surfaces. Not to mention road salt dust can get anywhere...

mangus580

I agree, was just pointing out the electronics of the mil ones are sealed

Only reason I am trying to avoid the hitch setup on mine... is its HEAVY ;-)

AJMBLAZER

Yeah...you got me there.

I remember cleaning mud out of the winch of a friend's HMMWV after he nose planted it into a berm on the HMMWV course at MCAS Miramar. We basically hosed it off and pulled the cable out some. The SSgt running the course laughed it off and said, "that should be good enough."

DooDooBrown

Thanks for the picts. My first measurement of my 15,000lb winch led me to believe that it will hang down quite a bit. I was also concerned with road grim stuff. It also isn't the best place to use it here in the MS (mud..etc). I am going to remeasure tomorrow.

This winch is a monster! I have toyed about mounting it in the rear as this would be easiest but I really don't like the idea.

Thanks for the picts again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks