• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12volt convert ( just the GP SYSTEM )

matiasmaggiolo

Hi, My M1009 86 had burned all my NEW WELLMANN 070 AGAIN, so my mechanic wants convert to 12v just the GLOW PLUG SYSTEM, and maintein the rest original 24v system.

He said that this is easy becose he takes 12v from 1 of the battery and send to a 12v Glow Plug controler , just that.
So if in the future 1 or 2 GP burned, the rest of the GP will still receibe the same 12 Volt
And with that simple modification he will mainteing the 24v for the starter and radio and accesories.

Is this correct ??

And how many second must the GP Controler be ON, becose the my original controles burn during 20 seconds, aprox, but it seems to much.

Thank you for your help.

Matias

farmer1982

Yeah that should work for ya taking 12 volts from one battery then ya can just go to the parts store and get a new controller , that way you can run it on a seperate system from the rest of the truck them glowplugs should only burn for bout 10 seconds or soo

Crash_AF

Your mechanic can change one wire and get 12V to the glow plug system. Pull the wire from the resistor block on the firewall and rewire it from the glow plug relay to the diamond shaped terminal block directly above the glow plug relay/master cylinder. That will feed the relay with 12V just like the rest of the truck without major rewiring. NOTE: This means that the glow plug system will not work with the NATO slave cable anymore.

Later,
Joe

matiasmaggiolo

Crash, thank you , pls see the attach becose i am not sure.
The Original Wire is the wire that goes from the Resistor to the GP RELAY.
For the New Rewire i need Pull the wire from the Resisto and put in the POSITIVE of the 12V JUNCTION BLOCK .
PLS SEE THE LINES AND TELL IF I UNDERSTAND ALL OK.
THANK YOU

Attachments

matiasmaggiolo

Another point, pls could tell me what is better, make this rewire and work GP at 12volts and all the rest to 12v and started to 24volts, OR buy GP OF 24 VOLTS AND BY PASS THE RESISTOR AND USE THE ALL THE GP AND STARTER IN 24V. ???

Crash_AF

Yes, your pic is correct.

24V plugs wont work because the small orange wire from the glow plug relay is a voltage sense wire for the controller and needs 12V. Otherwise it will burn out the card

Later,
Joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks