• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

14:00-24 or 16:00-24 tires?

houdel

"DA Beast", my new M125 wrecker, came fully equipped with a set of 10 fairly well dry rotted 14:00-24 tires which are going to need replacement sooner or later. I've looked at the Michelin XL, XML and XZL and Goodyear G177 data sheets but the largest rims they list are 20" and some 21" sizes, but no 24" rims.

Does anyone know of a source of modern military tread 14:00-24 or 16:00-24 tires? 16:00-24 tires would be great because then I could run singles in the rear and not be overwidth. Good used tires would be great. At 2-3 mpg and 42 mph top speed I don't expect to make too many cross country trips, but I would like a good set of tires for those trips to the grocery store!

supermechanic

New Volvo roadgrader at work has 16x24 michelin's on it. I don't know what the speed rating is, but I can get it going 52 mph on a good straight section of fourlane. Tread is beefy but doesn't make as much noise as you would expect.
No clue to price, but I can guess six would cost as much as a good used pickup.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Lee:
Can we see some pictures of the beast? If it is in another thread pardon my ignorance. As far as tires are concerned I think I have seen these in GL lots at RRAD.

M1075

houdel said:
Does anyone know of a source of modern military tread 14:00-24 or 16:00-24 tires? 16:00-24 tires would be great because then I could run singles in the rear and not be overwidth.
Lee- The M911s run 14x24 tires and the later ones have the Michelin radials in that size. I forget the Michelin code, but think it might be MXC? I have seen a few come through GL. Normal price is over $1000 per tire. A pic of the tread is below.

Another option would be 14x24 bias tires commonly used on road graders, although they are designated offroad only. I haven't seen many 16x24 tires, but you might be able to get away with the 16R20 tires and you can get them on HEMTT rims for cheap. They should be the same height as the 14x24 tires. Just be sure to double check the clearance for getting the 20" rims over the hubs. They might require some machining.

Attachments

jeli

RE: Re: 14:00-24 or 16:00-24 tires?

10 ton lug pattern is larger than a std 10 bolt but it would be worth if you are right on $1K per tire and 20" rims clear the brakes to modify 20" rims. I luckily never had a flat on my 10 ton so I don't know what's behind the wheels.

m.walker

Cheap tires ,free from county ( they put on new ones ) pics .We couldn't find any either . I wondered if the center in the rear wheels could be taken out and turned around to almost center it up to run singles ? Only two of the originals were any good so they got put on the front .

Attachments

majortom

This spring i am putting 1600r20 tires on my 123a1c. I found rims with the right bolt circle and offset for the rear, but to put a 20 inch rim on the front the brake drum must be turned down and the air pod must be relocated. My 1400-24 tires are good, but 1600r20 tires singled out make road width. The rear fenders also must be cut down to road width. That makes the tractor legal, but the cargo box is too wide. As to road speed i took the overdrive box from a fuller ten speed, made a bunch of parts, and put it between the trany and center diff. Gigantor eats blacktop at 54 mph. I have several ten tons, so the tires are not for sale, but i do have rims for the 20 inch tires. when the @#&* snow melts i will dig them out and sell any extras.

houdel

Re: RE: 14:00-24 or 16:00-24 tires?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
Lee: Can we see some pictures of the beast? If it is in another thread pardon my ignorance. As far as tires are concerned I think I have seen these in GL lots at RRAD.
No prob Armyman. I have a few pics at
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=202579

I had hoped to get some more in there by now but just too many tasks to do all at once - Like revising the specs on the garage I am building with 3 10'w x 12' h doors to change one door to a 12' x 12'!. I'll gradually be adding more pics as I explore the truck some more!

houdel

M1075 said:
The M911s run 14x24 tires and the later ones have the Michelin radials in that size.

You might be able to get away with the 16R20 tires and you can get them on HEMTT rims for cheap.
14:00-24 tires would probably work fine for me as with the M816 wrecker body on my truck I don't need the load capacity of the duals anyhow, I'm mainly trying to solve my overwidth problem. My thought on the 16:00-24s was to improve on my current 42 mph top speed.

I'd also be extremely happy with 16:00-20s if I could find a 20" rim to fit my hubs, machine my hubs to fit the 5 ton 20" rims or come up with an adapter to use the 20" rims on my existing hubs.

majortom said:
This spring i am putting 1600r20 tires on my 123a1c. I found rims with the right bolt circle and offset for the rear, but to put a 20 inch rim on the front the brake drum must be turned down and the air pod must be relocated. My 1400-24 tires are good, but 1600r20 tires singled out make road width.
Tell me more about your rims. Would they also fit a M125 hub? Are you going to do a rear hub flip on your M123A1C? Any idea if the rear hubs on the M125 can be flipped? I'm also trying to get down to legal road width, and I do love those 16:00-20 tires! At least with the M816 body on my M125 chassis the body is legal width (I'd just have to remove the extensions a previous owner added to the M816 body to widen it enough to match the tire width).

M1075

Can anyone verify if the bolt pattern on the 10 ton is different than the 5 tons? I know I took 24" wheels off of my M919 and replaced them with 20"' wheels from a HEMTT. Bolt pattern was the same. Hopefully, it is the same with the 10 tons too.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I know SECO in Augusta GA has tires for the M123/M125, proper military NDT tread. If you want new tires, afraid you're gonna have to foot the bill for newer motor grader tires (as shown above in m.walker's pics. They are about as aggressive a tread as you're going to get in that size.

DMgunn

Congrats Lee on a beautiful truck!

Regarding the width, before you get too concerned, you may want to check your state DOT or equivalent. In some states you can get an annual overwidth permit for cheap ($50 in SD, for example). That would be far cheaper than making a bunch of changes to comply with regs. Plus it just looks so cool as-is - the lettering on the hood really says it all.

get ahold of Rodney in Wisconsin see if he has some tires sitting over there. He usually has some 90% tires for about half then price of new. but it can be a hit and miss with him on them at times