• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

14' bed on a deuce????

rgregj

I think I already know the answer, but I wanted to put it past you guys first. Here goes, I have a standard 66' Deuce. It needs a new bed. A guy near me has a dropside for $500.00. I went and looked at it and the drop sides stop short of the front of the bed by about two feet. Those front two feet are fixed. He said it is a 14' deuce bed, but when I searched the website it appears to be a dropside for a M813. So my guess is it will not fit on the deuce. So, do i pass it up or buy it and have those two extra feet cut off and bed front re-welded? And yeah i know nopics

Regards,

10 pounds of poo and a 5 pound sack

Greg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: 14

You could bolt it on but ir would look funny, I've seen it done. I'd pass considering all the deuces being scrapped.

rgregj

RE: 14

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I guess the short distance to get the bed a great advantage. I think I will go out next week with a tape measure and verify the dimensions. And for Recovery and Cpt. Marion, the only reference I could find to a 14' bed was that of the M813, but there may be more.

Still bummed in SC

Greg

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this the 14' bed you are talking about? If so, it is the standard 5-ton dropside bed. The drop panels, incidentally, are the same as on the deuce A2C.

Now, just to confuse the issue, Marine M813s also had a 15' dropside bed as a refit, but there is no fixed section at the front, so they are easy to tell apart.

Cheers

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be really slick to have a dropside bed. Those beds are fabricated in the first place. If a person has the welding capacities & the means to handle the bed, shortening one up is not that difficult. Nor does the job, have to be cobbled. I drool at having the option of loading stuff from the side with forks.

Lee in Alaska

Alredneck

Banned
Yea whats the worst thing that could happen it look a lil funny but you have a extra 2 ft of storage capacity? On the other hand there are a lot of deuce beds going to china as scrap pieces and if you could save one of them it might not come back at us as a shell casing :shock: :lol:

Bill W

I have a 12' deuce bed here near Atlanta ( 30205) that needs some work. it has tailgate front and side racks /troop seats ( no top bows) for $250.00
If your interested I can send pic's.

rgregj

WOW, thanks for all the responses !! :shock:
First off, Jwaller and Bill W, PM sent. And yes the bed that is for sale is exactly like the one pictured by M813rc. And Alredneck, I agree, the extra space would be nice but I think it would interfer with the use of the pintle or reese. And plus, I already look funny enough :oops:

For anyone that is interested in that 14' bed, I am going to take my camera next trip and will post the pics of the guys stuff

Thanks again guys,

Greg