• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

14 bolt carnage.

2002ford

20131201_182011.jpg Has anyone seen a 14 bolt rear axle do this. The forestry dept just kinked the brake line and parked it. I drove this truck about 1.5 miles to test drive it. It drove fine just a little noisy. Lol

V8Astro

Wow. I saw quite a few trashed 14-bolts when I worked on GM P30 "potato chip" trucks. Never saw one where the flange was broken. You might call around. There are companies that do on-site axle tube repair. About once a month we had a guy come out an weld a new snout on a housing. I'm sure they could do something for you.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doug, is there any spindle damage or is it just the flange that the backing plate bolts to?

2002ford

I can fix it but for now I will just swap it out with another one. I have just never seen one break like this and still be able to drive it.

2002ford

Recovery the spindle is fine. It tore out the backing plate mount. I could not get the backing plate separated from the drum due to how late it was getting. I slid it on and bolted everything back up. I had to have the truck out of the shop last night. The truck has some other issues I need to deal with. I am also thinking about stripping it down for parts but I hate ruining these old trucks. Who knows.

scottladdy

I can fix it but for now I will just swap it out with another one. I have just never seen one break like this and still be able to drive it.
That is one of the beauties of a free floating axle. As long as the hub/spindle/bearings are in good shape and the retaining nut is doing it's job, the truck will drive straight.

As for what could be responsible for the flange/backing plate damage? Don't really know, but clearly someone worked very hard to get it to do that, or they were just unlucky.

The right amount of force applied in just the right way ...

2002ford

Lol, I like the punch lines. Has anyone seen this before? I just cant see it happening with out other signs of damage. The backing plate will be hung on the wall of shame.

radial flyer

Recovery the spindle is fine. It tore out the backing plate mount. I could not get the backing plate separated from the drum due to how late it was getting. I slid it on and bolted everything back up. I had to have the truck out of the shop last night. The truck has some other issues I need to deal with. I am also thinking about stripping it down for parts but I hate ruining these old trucks. Who knows.
Stripping it down for parts? Other issues you have to deal with? I thought this truck was good enough for you to sell according to our communication exchange (with a swapped rear axle) on 12/04/13. This wasn't the message you presented me during our chat.

Skinny

I don't understand, why not just weld on caliper mounts instead of fixing what is there? Saves weight and probably cheaper than replacing drum parts.