• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

14 bolt woes

DieselStax

2 of the 8 bolts that hold the end of my axle shaft to my hub are striped, my question is can I drive it to my friend who's a mechanist so he can tap the threads? I have 6 of the 8 bolts in, and will gear oil leak out of my rear or not? Thank you

Moto4Life

6 bolts should last you for a short drive without any problems as long as you take it easy. If you're worried about oil leaking out you could always remove the rest of the bolts, slide the axle out a little and put some RTV on the mating surface for peace of mind.

Skinny

I think any high grade fastener should work, I don't think you would need OEM bolts.

Like CUCVNUT suggested, a junkyard hub would be a quick repair.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From his description, I can't tell if his bolts are stripped or the threads in the holes are.

Either way, I doubt the hub needs to be removed to fix it.

DieselStax

Thanks guys I fixed it today, the threads in two of the holes just were chewed up and I really didn't want to pull the hub off because I just put new bearings and races and a oil seal in it and didn't feel like tearing her apart again. But I just ran a tap through them a couple of times and she's as good as new.