• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

15.5's on 13-20 rims

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: 15.5

Very cool. I like the exhaust exit as well. Think the tires are right at 46"

Re: RE: 15.5

Recovry4x4 said:
Very cool. I like the exhaust exit as well. Think the tires are right at 46"
:ditto:

Also thank you for the pics of the exhaust like that. i been wanting to do that to mine. How is the sound? is it quieter? i just like the cleaner look. Also thats one of the nicest super single setups ive seen

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice set-up for the sand.
Now to work on the drive train to prevent the hopping, going uphill without cargo. :)
What's the tire pressure?

You guys notice his rear bumper? Nice touch.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The perfect combo to play in heavy sand: 15.5 G-20s w/14.00-20 inner tubes, 13” wide IFA rims and a sound LDS465-1A...very nice! 8)
Regarding tire pressure you should be able to avoid wheel hopping by airing down to 20psi or less.
But even if you didn’t bother and left them all the time with 40-50psi I’m sure they will out-perform any 9.00-20 or11.00-20s by far, not only in loose sand…!

G.

emr

I think I broke a sweat...That thing is awesome...Nice truck!!!LOVE those tires too...Oh and that is what I call a steel soldier for sure!!!Nice post...Randy

Alredneck

Banned
Super Sweeeeet Rig really digging the exhuast and clean looks is it alot quieter in the cab like that? like the vintage look of the canvas to! what size lug nuts are those? G20s are good tires im was thinkn about switchn to them when my xmls wear out later on. g20s supposed to ride better and longer. Again sweet rig! Captain

BobS

One point (not to detract at all from the excellent work done to this truck)...

The wheel hop issue has been inherent with both the M35, the M813series, the M54 series, the M939 series, and even the FMTV and commercial trucks, due to the geometry of the rear suspension. Anytime you use the same trailing arms from the #3 axle (rear rear on a tandem) in suspending the #2 position by simply turning them around and using the same bolt pattern to attach them, you create what is called a pro-lift (as opposed to the anti dive or anti-squat) in the #2 axle. While lowering the tire pressure in the tires on the #2 axle mitigates the effects, somewhat, it is not a "cure" in any manner of speaking. The only way to truly eliminate this effect is to rebuild the geometry to have anti dive and anti squat designed into the way the axle moves under the truck in reaction to the suspension travel and the effect of torque loading of the pinion.

Again, good job on the conversion.

ADDENDUM: The reason lowering the tire pressure works is that the tire becomes more compliant at lower tire pressures. This is the principle of CTIS.