• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

15 KW 400 HZ units

1800 Diesel

I'm curious why lately the 400hz units seemed to going for way more dollars than I would consider. Besides being parts donors for their 60hz cousins, what am I missing?

Just saw one go for over $2k....Hopefully the buyer noticed it was not a 60 hz unit. Can't see how someone wouldn't notice that but I have heard of it happening. The other point is that it took a few other bidders to get the price up to where it sold for. Were they just shills or equally ignorant? Don't mean to offend anyone, just curious.

Isaac-1

Probably for much the same reason that someone paid $2,500 (close to $3,000 with tax and fees) for a nice looking MEP-002a today http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6543517&convertTo=USD Oh boy are they going to be unhappy when they realize what they bought.

Ike

(note I waited until after closing of the auction to post this one, it is a MEP-002a with a MEP-003a control box and data plate for those that did not spot the problem)

Last edited:

glassk

Probably for much the same reason that someone paid $2,500 (close to $3,000 with tax and fees) for a nice looking MEP-002a today http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6543517&convertTo=USD Oh boy are they going to be unhappy when they realize what they bought.

Ike

(note I waited until after closing of the auction to post this one, it is a MEP-002a with a MEP-003a control box and data plate for those that did not spot the problem)

At least it did have the correct battery holders, for what it really is that is,...:shock:

1800 Diesel

Ike

Wow--see what you mean...I'm wondering if the buyer can legally dispute that one or do the Ts & Cs isolate GL from any liability for misrepresenting an item?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, the terms and conditions state that you a SOL on something like this. That being said, they will sometimes work with you.

Isaac-1

The really sad thing is for it to get to that price it took at least two people bidding that did not know what they were looking at.

Ike

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe the buyer thinks they are worth the money as if all else fails they will still run a electric hot water heater and or a stove. What would you pay to give your family a hot meal and or bath when all else are eating out of a can and stinking? lol

1800 Diesel

Maybe the buyer thinks they are worth the money as if all else fails they will still run a electric hot water heater and or a stove. What would you pay to give your family a hot meal and or bath when all else are eating out of a can and stinking? lol
You're right, who are we to question someone's motives? Like I said, it was the curiosity aspect of the purchase that intrigued me. Guess they can run light bulbs too. Still, considering the multiple options at the buyer's reach, it was a high price for that specific unit. And family survival was not on the table since we haven't had one hurricane this season, though a couple low pressure fellows are brewing out in the Atlantic. Bottom line, it wasn't the last 15KW generator on earth, so my question remains--why pay so much for a unit with limited versatility? And to think that multiple bidders (or like Ike said at least one other) were also pursuing the same item, thus bring the price to what it sold for--still am curious. Would like to hear from the bidders that went after this one... :)

puddlejumper

Auction fever. I see it happen all the time on online auction sites (I even see it in regular auctions). There was an auction the other night that had .22 LR in bulk lots of 550 that went for .$15 a round. I just stocked up at scheels this week for my kids new rifle I bought him and I spent $.08 a round for brand new ammo. I bought 3,000 rounds over a few days. Man you should have seen. The .50 cal machine gun (converted to semi auto) and what it went for.:eek:

Isaac-1

I can't help think if this is in part caused by our current media culture, with tv shows like Storage Wars popularizing the concept of bidding insane amounts of money gambling on the value of an item / items based on minimal information as well as all the marketing puff pieces GL manages to get published / broadcasts by Fox News and others. I know they just had a story about GL a couple of weeks ago, at the time I was dreading it would cause a feeding frenzy on the auction I was bidding on. I also suspect many of us have met these potential bidders, they are likely the people that those of us that buy from GL somewhat frequently have met, are probably those people that are impressed by the things we have bought and want to go out and find a deal on a military this or that for themselves, but can't be bothered to take the time to do any research on what they are buying. Think back to some of those causal conversations you have had with people about buying from GL, I know I have met my fair share of those that are impressed that I bought a (mostly) running diesel generator for under $500, and want to know how they could buy themselves one, yet they don't know a KW from a Volt and don't have any interest in learning the different, they just know they want one.

Ike

1800 Diesel

Ike--I think you may have solved the mystery....good description of the combination of several factors coming together to cause this phenomena....haven't seen the Fox News story about GL though (we don't have cable TV), but will do a quick look on the web...thanks for weighing in... :)

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It makes the toast much toasty-er. Much more toastyness to the toast. I don't know about pizza, the toast crumbs I could vacuum out but the pizza cheese and sauce would have made a mess in the 400Hz converters on the ship...

I imagine that you could pick up a generator head pretty easy to connect to the engine, then presto, 60hz. Or it could be for some large operation where 400hz works just great. Or that people just don't know. All they are looking at is the 15kw. And a 15kw for $2-3k is a heck of a deal. (unless it is 400hz and you can't use it, but they might not have a clue.)

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well don't forget while you are waiting for the toast it will also run a strip heater that does not have a fan motor so you can roast some nuts and stay warm.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Ike

I SO wanted to post a warning when I saw the price soar, but was afraid there was no way to be obtuse enough to keep from being banned. I almost bid on it until I noticed the exhaust pipe.