• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

15KW Test Load Built From HVAC Heating Coil Pack

428gearhead

I was looking for a way to load test my MEP802A and had an idea:

I happened to have an old heat pump air handler laying around. The air handler has a 15KW heating coil pack installed for aux heat. Now, 15KW is too much for the 802A, however the coil pack consists of 3 separate 5KW coils switched by 24v relays. The blower motor has 3 speeds as well.... perfect.

I hard wired one of the 5kw coils and the motor for now. It put a 90% load on the 802A.

In the future, I will utilize the 24v relays controlled with switches, and same for the blower motor. The case will be shortened, screens installed and will roll on a set of casters. I will update on the finished product when complete.

Attachments

Jayhawk#44

I saw elsewhere on here someone used relays and switches in parallel and series parallel circuit configurations to achieve many relevant KW resistance ranges. In DC electronics this is pretty straight forward. I’m not an AC electricity guy so I can’t say for sure if it’s the same math.

Later,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks