• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

15w 40 Rotella Vs 30 weight oil

CGarbee

I use Castrol AgriMax 15w40. Runs a buck less per gallon at the local Agri-Supply than Rotella, and meets all the usual API/MIL/Manufacturer specs that the rest of the diesel multi-weights do.

Castrol claims that it has an additive package that is better for periods of hard use followed by periods of inactivity (think farm equipment and most of my MV fleet) whereas they claim that their OTR multiweight is packaged for medium to heavy use every day... I can't vouch for this (I'm not a chemist), but can say that everything seems to be running great... :)

I agree about the specific brand of choice being a matter of price, experience, and availability.

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
The current highest API rating for diesel oils is "SL." When most of these engine were manufactured it was probably like a "SC" rating. The big consideration is the additives that the oil companies put in the oil. We sell Royal Purple and Delvac. Royal Purple has a great additive package that has some great lubricity properties but, it's pricey. You can get pretty close to the same protection by adding a BG product to your choice of regular Dinosaur juice called MOA. MOA will actually boost your oils performance above Mobil 1 synthetic. It offers great friction protection to your bearing surfaces for cold starts.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Asking a guy what oil to use is like asking a Ford or Chevy man which truck is better. :) Everyone has opinions and stories of which oil is best. I like Rotella, but I also use Mobil Delvac oil and have used Valvoline...always 15W40. I've never been able to discern a difference. I will usually buy whichever good name brand 15W40 is cheapest. My .02 cents...stick with a name brand and you can't go wrong.

Thanks,
Bruce

Olney, MD
---------

1991 M149A2
1990 M105A2
1989 M932A2
1989 M925A2
1988 M977
1988 M105A2
1987 M1045
1987 M105A2
1985 M1009 (3)
1970 M149A2 (for sale)
1964 M128A2C
1963 M332 (3)

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An "S" rating is a spark ignited SAE rating. Look for the "C" rating. That's for a compression fired engine. CF and SM are the latest ratings, with low ash and all the special junk for the up and comming DOC and DPF engines.

1956_4x4

WillWagner said:
An "S" rating is a spark ignited SAE rating. Look for the "C" rating. That's for a compression fired engine. CF and SM are the latest ratings, with low ash and all the special junk for the up and comming DOC and DPF engines.
I thought Rotella had just come out with a new "CJ" rating for the 2007 diesel engines. They claim that it's some pretty good stuff, but then it is their oil...

Smitty

ojsdna744

BKubu said:
Asking a guy what oil to use is like asking a Ford or Chevy man which truck is better. :) Everyone has opinions and stories of which is best.
Aye, or which to carry, a 9mm or a .45 :roll: That usually starts the proverbial s__t storm!

(btw, I'm a Rotella user also)

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found the following information about oils very interesting and it follows what I have heard from other sources. The discussion had to do with cam wear and preservation of engines that sit for long periods between runs. It is long, but if you will indulge me, it gets to the Rotella and other oils. This was posted on another website by a gentleman named Ken whom I quote: " I had a cam ground to my specs, and when I picked it up today there was a notice attached.; WARNING: Today's oils no longer contain the phosphorous and zinc needed to flat tappet camshafts. Use diesel oils for break in. When I asked about this, they gave me a technical bulletin by the AERA (Engine Rebuilders Association) #TB2333 dated March 2006. It says in part: The current engine oils used by engine manufacturers in new car production are not applicable for flat tappet camshaft break in. These oils are less desirable than older formulations which have better wear additives than the current SM category oils."
There was more discussion about the cam wear, but I want to get to the part about the oils discussed in this thread:
Quoting again: "The bulletin lists three oils that have higher levels of wear preventive additives that are more desirable during flat tappet camshaft break in. Delo 400, Delvac, and Rotella T. Delo 400 has zinc but no phosphorous. Delvac has zinc and phosphorous but no TBN count. TBN is the measurement of a lubricant's reserve alkalinity. They go on to say The higher a motor oil's TBN, the more effective the oil is in handling contaminants and reducing the corrosive effects of acids for an extended period of time. Rotella T is the only one listed that has high numbers for all three, phosphorous, zinc, and TBN, and it also includes magnesium and calcium. Magnesium is a major ingredient in the tube of cam lube they give you for the installation.
To skip to another quote: "What I learned from this bulletin about TBN tells me that Rotella's TBN of 10.36 means that it is one of the best oils to have in an engine that sits for long periods of time or is subject to short runs of low operating temps."
This info is very applicable to our military trucks. I hope it helps make decisions about what oils to choose.
Regards Marti

Regarding TBN in oil, the Amsoil Synthetics have a variety of diesel oils and the TBN in them are 12. This is the main reason we use this oil since the TBN is higher than the Rotella.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks