• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

16.00 XZL's on an M818

Andy1234

Installed these this weekend.

All new Budd Caps and lugs. Got the tires from Mark @ 100dollarman.com, and was VERY pleased w/ the tires and the service. Wheels came from GL in Columbus, OH.

Didn't use a jack to lift the truck, I used a forklift! Made it a little easier. No air gun, though :-(... Did all the lugs by hand with a 1" breaker bar and a 5' long pipe.

Currently running 35 psi front and rear, and it rides like a Cadillac!

Andy

Attachments

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Looks good,I put 1600s on my 818 last week.Now i am cutting down a deuce bed for it.Your paint job looks good,also.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I can just fit my hand between my tires.That is by holding your hand the way you would shake someones hand.

KsM715

:drool: Man, I need to sell something so I can get some of those tires for my M818. What was shipping on those tires?

Im thinking there might be a M715 comeing up for sale soon.

area52

drgreg I just put a set of goodyears on HEMMTT rims last weekend they fit a bit looser on the rim than michelins so you will have to take the core out of the valve stem for a larger volume of air to inflate them.Fill them just enough to seat the beads then put the core back in with less pressure its not as much of a fight to get the core back in then finish inflating them.The michelin tires air up better the beads seat better with way less pressure for some reason.I took a piece of 3/4 inch plywood and cut it round to sit in the bead flange of the rim cut a couple pieces of 4X4 or 6X6 lumber to the same width as the plywood and sit them under the plywood disk to keep the tire off the ground when tipping it onto the rim and putting on the other half of the rim I mount all my tires this way and it saves a lot of time and effort.One other little piece of advice do NOT forget to put the valve stem in the rim before sliding the tire onto it I did it once when in a hurry and it didnt happen again.

Thats some good advice, thanks ranchhopper!:beer:

Andy1234

The only tips I have for inflating them are:

1: Take the valve core out (and remember to put it back in). I got the pressure up to 30 psi before putting the core back in, but I've done it a few times before....
2: Stand them up vertically when you air them up. Laying on the ground, the beads would not seat. Once stood up, the beads seated effortlessly.
3: Use dish sop as a bead lubricant, and don't be stingy with it! Use some on the o-ring, as well!

The gap between the rear 2 tires is approx 3", and I have not had any clearance problems.

No tubes, went tubeless. The wheels aren't cut for a tube-type valvestem, and tubes suck, anyway. So, tubeless it was!

It took me approx 4 hours total, but I split it up over 2 days, to complete the job.

One other hint: Spring for the new Budd caps and lugs, it'll be WAY easier, and you'll need to replace a few anyway. Total expense was around $150 for all new caps and lugs.

Shipping from CA to MO was approx $600 for 6 tires on 1 skid.

Andy

Last edited:

Hammer

5' for the height of my 5th wheel.
Sure wasn't 3" of clearance between the rear tires though.
I used a dead blow hammer to smack the tire while airing it up to help the bead to set easier and faster.

jwaller

if you use the beadlocks as they are designed then you don't have to worry about inflation. the beads will be bolted to the rim and inflation is very easy. simply plug the air into the valvestem.

100dollarman

Andy- The truck looks awesome!

I just put the same wheels and tires on one of my 818s, too. My plan is to cut a deuce bed to the right length and install in place of the hitch (havent had time yet!)

Thank you very much for the business!!!

Hundy

Here is a pic showing space between the tires- about 2"

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have any of you who actually run these tires experienced the predicted power loss when carrying/hauling a real load? By that I mean hauling something like a Deuce or a larger trailer, rather than a 105.

How about problems when shifting, particularly the 'big gap' shifts? I am wondering at the differences between 16.00's and 14.00's.

Cheers

Hammer

I towed around 6k worth of weight. 6% grades.
DEFINITELY slows it down.
And the 3 - 4 split is a real bugger!
If you have a long hill that you will be stuck in 3rd, I would put it in 5th gear low to gain a few more mph.

jwaller

Have any of you who actually run these tires experienced the predicted power loss when carrying/hauling a real load? By that I mean hauling something like a Deuce or a larger trailer, rather than a 105.

How about problems when shifting, particularly the 'big gap' shifts? I am wondering at the differences between 16.00's and 14.00's.

Cheers

yes I believe I have done just that. many many times with loads from 28k to 50k. as pics can show.

the 1600's will totally kill your power. you better hope you don't have ANY hills to climb. 3-4 will make you wish you were walking.

this load was on the light side prob about 25k at most and I still wanted flat ground. I had several hills to climb and if it weren't for the new turbo I would prob still be driving.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks