• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

16.00R20 tire /wheel offset question

ccf460

In the fear that I am wearing out my local tech support(Cidrich) with all my newbie questions, thought I would see if anyone has experience with my next phase. I am the proud new owner of a set of like new 16.00R20 Michelin XL's. I am going to widen my M35A2 stock wheels to the recommended 10" (according to Michelin).First ,my truck. It is a bobbed truck with a freightliner air ride( I have total control over ride height,to add a little lift). I think that 2~2.5" of lift can be added to the front( and probably have to with these tires). Given my situation here are my 2 ideas:

1. Flip the centers ,add the 2.5" inches to the lock ring side ,which will be on the inside.The end result should be something like 4.5" back spacing, it will look like a deep dish wheel from the outside,and the lock ring won't be seen, just like Cidrich's.
I have no doubts this will clear all fender well related items, but not sure how my fender turndowns will fair with the limited amount of front lift.

2. (easier, but maybe not better way, because of wheel well/frame/leaf spring/linkage clearance) Simply add 2.5" to the lock ring side,not flipping the centers, and keeping the original 10.5" backspacing. The wheels would maintain a more "stock" looking appearance,but be the proper width. I like this idea because it would keep more of the tire inside the fender, and be alot less work.

If anyone has seen wheels of similar backspacing to my ideas, I would greatly appreciate the input.Or if you have any experience with these size tires.Thanks, and pics to follow.

cidrich

ccf460 It coould be done either way and still look good.If you add to the existing wheel on the outside when you put power steering on it the tire will rub the box. Unless you get a steering box that will go in the same location as the stock box. Doing it the other way you will have to put some lift under the front to keep from rubbing the exhaust J pipe. But with the 16r20's I think you will want alittle lift anyway. Either way would be alittle work and would look good. And by the way, you are not wearing out your welcome. I am always glad to help if I can! You know how to find me if you need help.

Oh , did your oil sending unit arrive yet? I sent it out UPS the other day. I dont have a tracking # handy but can get you one if needed.

ccf460

Cidrich,
Just to make sure I understand what you are telling me. If I do your style of wheel the j pipe is close,and adding to the outside without
flipping the centers provides more j pipe clearance? Also, I have about 4 tabs open right now researching the hf54 box.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks