• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

16-20 Tubes, flaps and valves

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I did some searching on the SS site and on the Web but not much definative info.

Does anyone have a source for 16-20 inner tubes?
They will go inside a 16-20 XLZ tire, because the tread has holes from where 3/8" rebar punctured the tire.
In this application does it matter whether the tubes are for radials or not?
Can farm tractor tire tubes be used?

I have talked to the folks at Les Schwab out here, at a couple of different store. They always have to make a few calls and check, and either don't call with an answer or say they can't get them. And with these guys doing farm, equipment and passenger tires you'd think they would know a little more.

Another question is how are flaps for rims labeled/identified?
What numbers do I search on?
If the rim is a 10-20 is it the diameter just 20" and the width of the flap just 10".
If I measure the flap will that be that dimension or is there a more width, that cradles the tire past the rim, something like a few inches on each side added to the dimension.

And lastly, with tubes the air valve is part of the inner tube, and with radials the vavle is part of the rim. Where would I find all metal valves that attach to the rim with a gasket instead of the valves that have the rubber bulb that gets pressed into the hole in the rim?

Thanx for any info.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
international tire and tube is the name i am thinking of in texas i ordered some tubes from them an another place in cal. where they have all kinds of vavle stems maybe someone can come up with the name of another place tim

sweetk30

tubes = this setup

bias tire = bias tube or radial tube.

radial tire = radial tube only never bias in radial tire.

and that 3/8 rebar hole will most likly be vary bad. have the tire checked out by a pro. and if you want to reuse it. get a big blow out patch for it.

HeadWizard

I've got some internal tire plug/patches that would fill the 3/8" holes. They are about 4" diameter with about a 1/2" plug attached. They get glued in the inside of the tire and the plug goes thru the hole.

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take the tire to a re-capper. The Bandag process is super good. they will know what they are doing! So find a tire capper that specializes in that process. Have them put a "section in it. They will gind out the hold, put new rubber compound in the holes & cook it in their curing oven. It will be "almost like new". Depending on damage, you should be able to run it as tubless, if that is what its for. That is their buisness!. I once ran a 1/2"bolt through a brand new Michelin, first trip out the gate. They repaired it & I was able to run the tread off it. They didn't want to re-cap it, but they saved the tire for me. The price will be reasnable.

Lee in Alaska