• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

16 inch rim for m1009

digitaldust

Ok I have read a lot of post on here.
Has anyone found a 16inch wheel that will fit the m1009? I'm looking for a simple and cheep rim. I have almost new tires of the 16 inch flavor.

As another note has anyone swapped hubs GM 6 to 8 lately?

GPrez

If you look on ebay right now in the military vehicles section there is a M1009 for sale in CA that is lifted and has 16" rims. I thought it looked pretty cool.

The bolt spacing isn't a problem to find on the 16" wheel, the thing you have to be cautious about is the offset of the rim. The stock wheels have a negative offset whereas when GM went to the 16" size in 1988 thereabouts they changed the offset to either Zero or a positive in lieu of a negative. In other words the wheel and tire might look goofy because they will sit in under the fenders too far. If you can find a rim with a negative offset your golden.

citizensoldier

Yes I put a set of aftermarket 16" rims on my M1009 so I could use the tires off the pickups and have a bigger tire selection. You can get them for around $60 to $80 a piece. Ebay, Discount tire, and other locations. They come gloss black so I just roughed up with sandpaper and shot a good thick coat of 383 green on them.

Attachments

citizensoldier

I may be wrong here, but the late 80's / early 90's GM 3/4 ton 2wd has the 16 inch rims with the right offset and simular look.
The one who will know is Eric aka 319.
Maybe but most 3/4 tons I have seen are 8 lug. They put 16 rims on some of the GMC K5 blazers, heavy half pickups and heavy half Saburbans in the early to mid 70's remember the skinny white rims with shinny center caps. They were only on a few packages that GM offered though. I looked for 6 years for a set and could not find any that were not already on a truck or for sale. So I gave up.. You have always been able to get the "wagon wheel" style in 16" with the right offset for them.
The wide 31/10.50/15 are really squirly in the snow so I wanted tall skinny tires. I found there are not very many styles available in 15" rims anymore. I get better mileage with the tall skinny tires too.

citizensoldier

If you look on ebay right now in the military vehicles section there is a M1009 for sale in CA that is lifted and has 16" rims. I thought it looked pretty cool.

The bolt spacing isn't a problem to find on the 16" wheel, the thing you have to be cautious about is the offset of the rim. The stock wheels have a negative offset whereas when GM went to the 16" size in 1988 thereabouts they changed the offset to either Zero or a positive in lieu of a negative. In other words the wheel and tire might look goofy because they will sit in under the fenders too far. If you can find a rim with a negative offset your golden.
Some of the older skinny rims are the right offset but not deep enough to clear the front brake calipers. The newer negative offset rims are mostly 16" but are a bigger metric stud size compared to the 7/16 stud on the m1009. They also do not have a hole big enough to clear the front lockout hubs and would require spacers.

SimonG

Yes I put a set of aftermarket 16" rims on my M1009 so I could use the tires off the pickups and have a bigger tire selection. You can get them for around $60 to $80 a piece. Ebay, Discount tire, and other locations. They come gloss black so I just roughed up with sandpaper and shot a good thick coat of 383 green on them.
CS, nice rims, do you know the brand? would 33's work with them rims on a 1009 without a lift?

Whit

M1009 16" or 17" rims

I am in this exact situation. I want to buy a set of 16" or 17" rims for my M1009 so I can mount (standard, skinny) highway tires on them. I have two sets of tires ready to go, one set in each of 16" and 17", just need the rims. I can go with either 16" or 17", but will just get one set.

I understand one of the big issues is offset. I actually don't know what the offset on the M1009's is which I understand to be different from the stock K5's which have a zero offset. So I have nothing to benchmark against.

So long as I can bolt on a set of inexpensive rims that work properly, I'm not fussy.

If anyone would be kind enough to let me know what rims to get, I would most appreciate it. I'm not looking for anything fancy, and will probably rattle can whatever I get to a flat matte finish.

Thanks in advance

Whit

Last edited:

frank1669

I am in this exact situation. I want to buy a set of 16" or 17" rims for my M1009 so I can mount (standard, skinny) highway tires on them. I have two sets of tires ready to go, one set in each of 16" and 17", just need the rims. I can go with either 16" or 17", but will just get one set.

I understand one of the big issues is offset. I actually don't know what the offset on the M1009's is which I understand to be different from the stock K5's which have a zero offset. So I have nothing to benchmark against.

So long as I can bolt on a set of inexpensive rims that work properly, I'm not fussy.

If anyone would be kind enough to let me know what rims to get, I would most appreciate it. I'm not looking for anything fancy, and will probably rattle can whatever I get to a flat matte finish.

Thanks in advance

Whit
for 235/85/r16 tire (about 32" tall 8.5" wide you will need 3 3/4 to 4 " of back spacing on a 16" rim to avoid rubbing your leaf springs. Call 4wd parts or national tire and wheel they should be able to set you up with inexspensive rims already in a matte black.

Matt1031

Factory wheel width of 6.5" is usually your limiting factor, not tire clearance. Even 265's technically call for a 7" min width. 265 is where I draw the line. I won't run 285's on a stock steel wheel - they don't wear right or handle well unless you mount them on an 8" width wheel.

How big a tire you can fit with no lift depends on two things:
1) How saggy your springs are (Don't expect original springs to be original ride height after 25 years)
2) How much fender trimming you feel comfortable with. If you aren't concerned with originality (restoration) or looks, you can cut the front fender lip off for bigger tire clearance. You would be surprised at what will fit with some minor trimming.

I would rather not cut at all. Do you have a preferred tire you like to run? I was thinking to go with a real good looking A/T tire. Something that i could driving around town with the kids, and once in a while have some fun off-road.

frank1669

What about the 33 x 12.50R15, would these work with out having to cut anything?
With perfect springs and you don't mind them rubbing when you turn up into a drive way then yea they fit. Some people will run them this way- I won't ( it tears up you tires and a good Rub will dent your fender.
So Usually no but it depends on the brand. Tires size is more subjective than fact. If buying from a local shop they are usually willing to mound one or two for a test fit (2 is best) always check the front.

I have seen 33 x 12.5 r 15s rang from 31.75" tall to 33.5" widths for 10.5 to 12.5

Part of it will have to do with the rim you mount them on.

Check with the manufactures websites they have charts with actual mounted sizes available ( on the rim size they choose).

If you really want the height with out a lift BF Goodrich makes a 33x9.5xr15 that should work well for you.