• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

16R20's fitment without rubbing

zpromax777

I am looking for an option for increasing speed without doing gears. Do the 16R20's fit without rubbing each other in the rear? I tried searching for this, but can't seem to get the search terms defined well enough to get this info, even after reading 4 pages worth of search results. Thanks for any info!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure what you were reading, but 16.00R20 are 52" tires. The largest that you can fit on a stock Deuce is 46". That means 12.00R20, 11.00R20 and 395/85/20. The latter leave room for a sheet of paper between them and, because they are MPT tires, they ought to run on a rim that fits these tires, as opposed to being squeezed on a stock Deuce rim.

I am not starting a flaming war about "MPT tires work just fine" yada yada. They might, but they definitely are designed for a special rim.

Some SEARCH BASICS @zpromax777 to make your life easier:

If you use GOOGLE, type in: tallest tire deuce site:steelsoldiers.com

That will give you the results you are looking for, specific to the steelsoldiers web site.

sue

Not sure what you were reading, but 16.00R20 are 52" tires. The largest that you can fit on a stock Deuce is 46". That means 12.00R20, 11.00R20 and 395/85/20. The latter leave room for a sheet of paper between them and, because they are MPT tires, they ought to run on a rim that fits these tires, as opposed to being squeezed on a stock Deuce rim.

I am not starting a flaming war about "MPT tires work just fine" yada yada. They might, but they definitely are designed for a special rim.

That will give you the results you are looking for, specific to the steelsoldiers web site.
We have the 53” tires on ours and yes speed went way up. But we spread the rear
axles (obviously!) different rear spring, made blocks to raise the front axle. raised the bed and we used the stock A-3 rims.
5 years in and don’t regret a thin. Our profile pictrue shows what it looks like.

zpromax777

Thanks for te advice . You ve proven and given the answer to my question

coachgeo

just keep in mind..... larger tires will change final ratio sure..... will have less costly.... upfront. But possibly NOT less costly long term...... By time you pay for tire changes two or three times... you're from that point on loosing money compared to doing gear changes. iIFFFF the price of tires change that is. Right now 16's are about same price as the OEM size; so for a while your good to go with larger tire if you need to replace them soon anyway.

If your flipping the truck to sell and thought is; since you "have to" put new(er) tires on it anyway,.. with taller tires you can advertising it goes faster.. well that is a sales gimmick that cost the buyer later down the road. Smart buyers will catch that; others wont. If your doing it for yourself.. then its a money now vs time / change in tire prices- per tire set replacement - aka- a finacial math reality over time thing you have to wrangle with..

PS- if truck is of FMTV family then the 16.r20's do fit with some mods..... you never stated what truck you have

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks