• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

17 mpg?

Jake0147

I added 10 gallons of fuel to my tank which raised the level 2.5". 1/4" equals 1 gallon. After driving 53 miles at 45 mph on open road I had used 3/4"= 17mpg. Is this possible with this Cat 3116?

I think that after averaging out this tank, and several more you will find that your sample is WAY too small. That 3116 doesn't deliver that kind of efficiency.

I use a dipstick to supplement an intermmitantly working and highly inaccurate gauge. I can assure you that you that quarter inch repeatability in sticking the tank does not happen. Half inch repeatability can be kind of tough even if where you're parked (at both ends of the trip) appear to be perfectly level ground.

Mark2X2

Fuel mileage is the most lied about subject ever invented! You fill your tank with the tank on the up hill side, the next time you on the down hill side. Your tank won't hold as much, you check the MPG's low and behold the best MPG's you ever got. What I have found, the best way to get an honest MPG out of your buddies pick up is pay for half the fuel on a trip. You will get the biggest bunch of excuses why the truck is getting such crappy MPG's. When some one tells you what there pick-up is getting for mileage, it was there best tank ever. Not the tank going across North Dakota with a stiff head wind, the cruise set at 80 mph and the Rokons in the back with gear and tools. (13.7mpg) Made the same trip with a buddy in Ford with a power joke, we got 9.3 mpg, we took his truck because he swore up and down it got 17mpg.
Forgot the most important part of this post, my Dad, brother and I own 8) 3116's in Chevy school buses. Four with 4 speed Allison auto's that get 9 mpg. Four with 5 speed manuals that get 11 mpg. Both vary about +/- 1/2 mpg, so if someone tells me there getting 17mpg in a six wheel drive truck geared lower than these buses, well I would have to say there are trying to blow smoke up a puckered orifice.2cents

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't really worry much about mileage. Didn't get into the hobby to make friends down at the EPA. After all I do drive a Rolls Canardly...Rolls down one hill, Canardly make it up the next.

SixSpeed

Banned
For what its worth, I think Deuces get AWESOME fuel economy!

- 14,000lbs
- 6x6 Drivetrain with beefy toploader axles
- 10 (crappy) Tires
- A big old diesel with multifuel capabilities
- The aerodynamics of a parachute
- And a design from the...stone ages?

I think everyone should be lucky they aren't getting 3MPG!