• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1800 miles, no license plates, half a pack of smokes...

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited by a moderator:

SixSpeed

Banned
If memory serves correctly:

It’s 600 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it’s dark and we’re wearing sunglasses....hit it.

Love that movie. :-D

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What was your plan had you gotten into an accident without plates??????

Im not familair with the laws of your state, but in NY, to get plates you need to prove ownership with a title and have insurance.. Did you have insurance on the vehicle?

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What was your plan had you gotten into an accident without plates??????

Im not familair with the laws of your state, but in NY, to get plates you need to prove ownership with a title and have insurance.. Did you have insurance on the vehicle?
emmado22,

A big roger on the insurance. I won't drive with out it. You can get paper plates in Colorado if you can show a bill of sale, which I have AND either have a title or (in this case) an SF97 that my state recognizes. But not until the truck is here in Colorado.

So, yes to the insurance, but no to license plates. I TRIED. The state of New York gladly took their taxes on the sale, but would not issue me a temporary permit, even when I begged and offered to pay more. Sorry, I'm not a resident so NY can't help.

And because the truck is not in Colorado, I can't get a temp permit issued here until the truck is here. I'll be going to get them tomorrow.

Hope that helps.

DUECE-COUPE

the real question is: when was the last time you saw a badge pull over a military vehicle that was not speeding, and when was the last time you saw someone speeding when they just bought a military truck and didn't have a plate???

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would have had it shipped. Shipping costs money. There is no doubt it adds to the cost of a truck, but it is a cost that you have to incur just like tax and the price of the vehicle...that is, unless you have tags and insurance. I honestly wish GL would BAN the driving out of vehicles. That won't be a popular sentiment, but it would save the rest of us from being impacted when someone gets busted for impersonating military personnel. I am fairly sure that is a federal offense! You'd get to visit with Madoff and his new buddies.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If they only had a checkpoint at the exit of all bases, and actually checked your documents, this would never happen.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That won't be a popular sentiment, but it would save the rest of us from being impacted when someone gets busted for impersonating military personnel. I am fairly sure that is a federal offense!
I basically concur that if someone is BREAKING THE LAW (impersonating military personnel), THEY SHOULD GO TO JAIL. FOR A LONG TIME.

But you are of the mind of throwing the baby out with the bath water. What you are basically saying is ALL of us should be impacted by the bad judgement of even ONE person.

UH, isn't that WHY we have laws in the first place? And if I had KNOWN that it was missing the bracket that held the transfer case in place I WOULD HAVE HAD IT SHIPPED and fixed the problem when it got here. Because I spent WAY more than having it shipped would have cost by having the transmission case replaced and the tranny rebuilt.

But we all live and learn. Besides, how many of you look for a bracket holding the transfer case in place in a CUCV? I know I would not have. And yeah, it did cost me a bundle. My wife is STILL reminding me of that.

But who on this site hasn't made that judgement call, only to find that it was the wrong call? I have. More than once. But not that often.

In any hobby, as in life, sometimes you just have to go with the hand you are dealt. And if you are stupid enough to break a law that gets you put in jail, you deserve that.

Having said that, I TRIED DESPERATELY TO GET SOMEONE, ANYONE to sell me a paper transit plate. NO ONE WOULD DO IT. Not in New York because I wasn't a resident and not in Colorado because the truck was NOT IN Colorado. SO I did what I had to get the truck back to Denver. Four days, no radio, no A/C in summer time. Sixty miles an hour.

No, dear. NO MORE OUT OF STATE TRUCKS. I PROMISE.

Note to self: Find trucks that the owner will DELIVER for a fee. That resolves that issue and that means they are already titled. Which also resolves any other issues.

OPCOM,
I'm assuming it is an add-on. It's off the truck and I have no intention of putting it back on. Anyone want a topper? I live in Denver. You make me an offer and come get it and it's yours.

Doghead,
If you are NOT current military that would be a correct assumption. My buddy who drove it off base is currently in either the Reserves or the Guard. So his ID is current and shows HE is current. In that case, they would have let him off base. AND DID. So as with any rule, there are exceptions. Always exceptions.

Last edited:

TIGERFANS2

..... That won't be a popular sentiment, but it would save the rest of us from being impacted when someone gets busted for impersonating military personnel. I am fairly sure that is a federal offense! You'd get to visit with Madoff and his new buddies.

What's the penalty for impersonating a federal Civil Service or civilian contractor? Both types drive military vehicles on a regular basis.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks