• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

19 degrees here, she started right up

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been sitting out in the cold without running for a week, took a full second to start. Twice as long as is normal for the 6.5. I attribute it to my battery disconnect, S3 box and a good set of glow plugs. Knock wood.

Carrera911

Just has gotten cold down here. In the mid 30s I pump the gas while cranking and it takes a couple seconds to fire. Maybe I should check the resistance on my plugs.

Ang2gna

Haha. I was just going to post about the same thing. It was -1 here yesterday so I figured I would start the truck just to see if it would. Well, it fired right up. It surprised the **** out of me that it didn't even struggle. It even had about a foot of snow sitting on the hood. I do add that "diesel 911" or whatever it is called. The white bottle not the grey. I don't know if that helped or not.
I did install a block heater this fall, but it wasn't plugged in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a new box, all the plugs are ohmed good, takes me a few tries before mine will start when that cold. Almost catches and the starter sounds like a wounded chicken......

Action

these usually wont start with a foot of snow on the hood unless you have a taller intake (fording style). If the snow is covering the mushroom cap, the engine will not get any air. If it does start, and continue to run with the cap area covered, you may have a big leak somewhere

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air sucks through the snow, never seen it be a problem.

As a matter of common sense, I usually remove it first.

Ang2gna

Action, I don't have the fording stack. I only have the little 4 inch extension because of the snow around here. I know the snow needs to be cleared around the intake for it to breathe and did clear it :) I never had to do maintenance on them but I did drive them for years in the Air Force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wire Fox

To add to the "I'm a hard-ass" brigade, it was -2 a couple morning ago and I walked my girlfriend out to her car in my t-shirt, gym shorts, and flip-flops. The walk there was nice, but the walk back was more like a hurried waddle that ended with me rushing to the coffee pot and then reaching for the fleece. You only gotta look tough when she's looking...

I'm real glad to hear that the HMMWV fired up easy-peasy in the cold temps. Govplanet was stirring this morning in my email inbox, so it's making me wonder if it's right about time for my EUC to clear...right in this subzero crap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks