• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1900 miles in an M931a2 in 36 hours

goldneagle

Wow what a trip. Glad to hear you made it home safe. I was wondering what it cost you in fuel for the trip. These trucks are not exactly fuel misers! I am asking because I intent to make a camper out of a M923 and wondered about trip expenses.

Russ344

I didn't keep track of the fuel mileage but here's what I do have. I spent $845.00 on fuel and traveled 1900 miles. I never payed over $4.00 a gallon for fuel. In fact I think the average price was around $3.75. If you do the math with $4.00 a gallon, the mileage comes out to 9 MPG, but if you figure it at $3.75 a gallon it only comes out to about 8.4 MPG. Also, keep in mind that I still have probably 20-30 gallons more than I started with left in the tanks. I know this is a lot of guessing but I hope it helps.

Why didn't you just buy a lock and chain at a hardware store on your way back? I rather have spent $10-$15 on a lock than sleep in the cab over night. Just my 1.5 cents. Anyway cool story/adventure!:D

Russ344

We thought about it but since we didn't really know what type of areas we were stopping in I didn't want to take a chance. Not so much worried about someone stealing it but more worried that someone messing around might get hurt. Probably worried for nothing but I didn't want to take a chance.

grunex125

Good to hear you made it home alright, looks like a nice truck too! shuld'adones and culda'dones aside I think this trip with your wife was one you will both remember for a long time. Again good looking truck!..........what are your plans for the truck now? Parades? work? MV meets? I bought mine for work, but every time I use it it's like I'm not really working, know what I mean?

Russ344

Don't really have any plans for the truck. I live in a desert town and there's 4 or 5 military trucks driving around here. It's really made for these trucks here. No speed limits above 35 (except for the highway) and miles and miles of desert roads to explore.

Russ344

Almost forgot-I know that you can look up the weights of these trucks but I thought I would give you the actual weight. I went through a weigh station in Arizona. The truck weighed 20,140 lbs. with 2 people, 1 suitcase and 1/2 tank of diesel in each tank.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks