• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1940 Federal 606 C2 Wrecker

sbshafer2

Attached are a couple photos of the front end and the dash. Sorry for the poor quality couldn't see the screen to focus the pictures. Going to have new means later on in the week with better pictures to follow!WP_000368.jpgWP_000370.jpgWP_000369.jpgWP_000371.jpgWP_000373.jpgWP_000372.jpgWP_000365.jpgWP_000367.jpg

Jeff Lakaszcyck

The TwinBeech site does have lot's of information and lot's of pictures in one spot instead of scattered around the internet. I haven't gotten around to contacting them for more information yet but I will get there. The cab isn't in horrible condition. There is a good bit of wood that needs replaced but I was planning on going through and replacing it all anyway. The driver's door is currently taken off because of the poor wood holding it together.

Jeff Lakaszcyck; Your truck is actually newer than 1940 said:
I hate to disagree since I am the one after information. I still have the original title from 1953 when it was released from duty to Matt's Garage. I would imagine that the information is correct unless they made a mistake so long ago. I also have an updated title stating that it is a 1940 with 6500 actual miles. Also the more pictures I look through the more small differences I notice. The trim seems to be slightly different than most models I see on the hood and around the cab. The windshield wipers also appear to be different but there's no telling how original they are. I also notice that the rear fenders are different and may be incomplete. The fire extinguisher mounts are also shorter and more narrow than many of the ones I see in other pictures and I notice that the front end housing is quite a bit different too with the filler plug coming away from the housing so that it comes out and fills horizontally. I'll do some digging and see if I can't find a date tag somewhere on it.
If you hit the books and do your research and you will find that your C2 is not a 1940 model. The early Federals had a different grille, brushguard, and headlight mounting than your truck, and I do not beleive that Federal built any of these early C2 wrecker's or F1 tractor's until 1941. The new style grille and headlight mounting that your truck sports was not introduced until at least 1942, perhaps even 1943. While I don't doubt your title says 1940, the title is probably the most inaccurate way to date a military vehicle, for many reasons. Military vehicles are not titled when they are new. They do not receive a title until they are sold into civilian hands. If the truck goes directly from the military to another government agency or a municipality, it often does not recieve a title until the government, city, county, or state sells it to a civilian. It may be decades after the truck is new before it receives a title. Also, many states did not issue titles in the 1940's. I grew up in Massachusetts and vehicle titles were not issued there until the late '60's or '70's. So even if the truck came directly out of the military to a civilian owner right after the War, it still may not have received a title until decades later. By the time, when asked for the year, the owner may know, he may vaguely remember what someone told him years ago, or he may just say "1940" because it sounds about right. I realize your title was issued in 1953, but that still does not guarrantee its accuaracy. I'm sure the members here can tell many stories about what the title said and what they found their military vehicle really was. I am certain your truck was not built in 1940, or even '41.

Attached are a couple photos of early Federal C2's. These are 1941 or '42 models.

Federal 1941 606 C-2 wrecker 6x6.jpg

Federal 1941 606 C-2 wrecker 6x6 2.jpg

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Front axle looks like the Timken F3100. What is the red pto looking thing in the pics?

Jeff Lakaszcyck

The red thing is the inertia starter. It mounted in front of the grille and connected to the crankshaft. It had a crank that went in from the side. I believe you "wound it up" and then there was some kind of mechanism to release the energy and turn the engine over. If you remember the Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engines from the '60's with the ratcheting crank on top instead of a pull cord, they worked in a similar fashion. The inertia starter was only used if the regular starter would not turn the engine over.

The newer style Federal C2 wreckers used the curved boom for a while before the straight boom came out. I'm not sure when the change was made but I would guess '43-44. The curved boom hoist was rated at 10 tons, while the straight boom rating was 5 tons. However, the straight boom telescoped, while the curved boom did not. Civilian operators didn't pay much attention to the weight ratings. There are stories about a C2 on a bridge raising a semi truck straight out of the water. The C2's were the backbone of many civilian heavy wrecker fleets well into the '70's.

Last edited:

Jeff Lakaszcyck

Here are a couple of photos from the Life Magazine collection, taken in 1942. The front view shows the front axle pretty well, it looks very similar if not the same as yours. This truck is the later style with the early curved boom. One thing that I don't think has been mentioned so far is that all the C2 wreckers had a fifth wheel for towing a step deck trailer (there were 2 different lengths) to carry wrecked aircraft. Notice the soldier with his arm out the window is not the driver, the driver is next to him ! As you said, these cabs were huge.

Also attached is an "official" photo showing the later boom from the rear. Send me a pm with your email address and I cand send you several detail photos the C2 in the museum in Europe.

Federal 1942 606 C-2 wrecker Smyrna Air Base Life 1942 1.jpg
Federal 1943 606 C-2 wrecker 6x6 2.jpgFederal 1942 606 C-2 wrecker Smyrna Air Base Life 1942 2.jpg

Last edited:

Goncalo Mendes

I had no idea that so many federal/reo C2 were built (and used in United States after WW2), as they looked to me as a rare truck in the US and Europe (England/France/Belgium/Netherlands), as in the military vehicles restorations also.

Some pictures of the restored C2 in the "Marshall Museum Overloon":
http://tanksim.org.ru/references/federal606/federal606.php

About a possible donor/parts truck
http://forums.aths.org/PrintTopic130149.aspx

The Ward Lafrance M1A1 Wrecker used the same Garwood system (some minor differencies and a shorter boom), maybe useful if anyone thinks in scratchbuild one...)

Many scrapyards have these trucks in, not only France, but also Belgium, Netherlands, where they where the wrecker industry base, in the years after WW2. At least, in France, the cranes/booms were many times used in truck wrecker conversions, taking them from older trucks to newer chassis :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hayes69/8172450231/in/pool-1547298@N23|hayes69

http://www.travellerdave.co.uk/?p=241
In this last photo, the M1 donor wrecker also had a curved boom earlier version, very similar to the earlier C2. mybe an idea for a earlier version C2 wrecker?

G_Mendes

Last edited:

sbshafer2

Thank you very much for all the useful information Jeff! It looks like you may be my go to guy! Would the serial number give me any information?

The red thing is the inertia starter. It mounted in front of the grille and connected to the crankshaft. It had a crank that went in from the side. I believe you "wound it up" and then there was some kind of mechanism to release the energy and turn the engine over. If you remember the Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engines from the '60's with the ratcheting crank on top instead of a pull cord, they worked in a similar fashion. The inertia starter was only used if the regular starter would not turn the engine over.

The newer style Federal C2 wreckers used the curved boom for a while before the straight boom came out. I'm not sure when the change was made but I would guess '43-44. The curved boom hoist was rated at 10 tons, while the straight boom rating was 5 tons. However, the straight boom telescoped, while the curved boom did not. Civilian operators didn't pay much attention to the weight ratings. There are stories about a C2 on a bridge raising a semi truck straight out of the water. The C2's were the backbone of many civilian heavy wrecker fleets well into the '70's.
The inertia starter is wound up and it and the lever on top is thrown to engage and start the motor. I got the starter working cranked it up and it howls like a siren comparable to the inertia starters on old aircraft that can be seen on youtube. These are all great pictures the more I have the better. Thank you. My email is sbshafer2@yahoo.com

Jeff Lakaszcyck

Thank you very much for all the useful information Jeff! It looks like you may be my go to guy! Would the serial number give me any information?

The inertia starter is wound up and it and the lever on top is thrown to engage and start the motor. I got the starter working cranked it up and it howls like a siren comparable to the inertia starters on old aircraft that can be seen on youtube. These are all great pictures the more I have the better. Thank you. My email is sbshafer2@yahoo.com
I sent you an email with some photos a few days ago, did you get it ?

Goncalo Mendes

Great photos!
Thanks for sharing! It would be interesting to see if these were older or newer tham the other better known in the flickr albuns.

G_Mendes

grumblesa23

Hi everyone,
Have just joined this site because we have a Federal 606 C2 Wrecker complete with 5 ton Garwood Crane. The year is 1944 and we found the date on the LHS chassis behind the front wheel and in front of the mudguard bracket. Our wrecker is only missing the Inertia Starter and is undergoing complete restoration, the engine has been done and so has the front and back diffs. The radiator has also been repaired and cleaned and now its time to do the cabin as it has been out in the weather for most of its life prior to coming to us. I will try to attach a photo on here.
Cheers Colin and Julianne in whole truck in shed.jpgAustralia

grumblesa23

Hi everyone, no more done yet. Other projects have been taking up our time. It is still siting in the shed awaiting more time. Will try to add a few more photos that I have after we are back from visiting the Cowra Swim in this coming week. Cheers everyone

Jeff Lakaszcyck

The Federal without the boom that started this thread was on Craigslist about a month ago. The ad is gone and I don't know the status. I hope it found a good home.

Jeff Lakaszcyck

What a co-incidence that I posted exactly a year ago today that the Federal without the boom was for sale. I just bought it. It will be a while before I get it home.

Jeff Lakaszcyck

Paul, my orange wrecker is fairly complete and has a pretty good cab, but needs an engine and a rear end, and the rest of the drivetrain is questionable. This one has no wrecker equipment and the cab is in poor condition, but runs, drives and stops. It also has lots of other parts I need. It seems like a marriage made in heaven.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks