• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

zout

Box rear supporting crossmember framework and side cut out. Now once the new is in (pic attached of old and new) the rear exterior body work will be straight and also regain its support.

Boxes are PAINT - TM Ordinance #8 (not all for the K though) Going to give Deb a surprise and paint the deck in OD green - all she said was paint it ??? go figure.100_2131.jpg100_2132.jpg100_2133.jpg100_2134.jpg100_2135.jpg100_2136.jpg100_2137.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Box rear supporting crossmember framework and side cut out. Now once the new is in (pic attached of old and new) the rear exterior body work will be straight and also regain its support.

Boxes are PAINT - TM Ordinance #8 (not all for the K though) Going to give Deb a surprise and paint the deck in OD green - all she said was paint it ??? go figure.View attachment 488346View attachment 488347View attachment 488348View attachment 488349View attachment 488350View attachment 488351View attachment 488352
Gosh...it was impossible to see that rot til you got all the wood/squirrel poop outta the truck!!:shock:

That's why it takes a professional to keep us wannabes in line!!:grd::beer:

Oh...and I hope Zout-2 likes her OD porch!!:naner:

Last edited:

rickf

SO THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN PB for shipping it North to CAMO MAFIA

You consider Lilburn Ga. North? Dang, That would make the the South Carolina boys Yankees!!! I don't even want to think what that make me from NJ.:shock::shock:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
SO THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN PB for shipping it North to CAMO MAFIA

You consider Lilburn Ga. North? Dang, That would make the the South Carolina boys Yankees!!! I don't even want to think what that make me from NJ.:shock::shock:
Naw...I don't use the word "Yankee" much. Heck I was born in Kentucky!

I usually just say something like "Them fellers up thar".rofl

zout

Myself just as well am a transplanted UP Michigander - I see more in common here with what are deep Southern Folk in habits than I had in common with them folks ^^^^^up there. Call me whatever ya want - as they say Proof is in the pudding. Besides I answer just about to any name called me all the same as I just don;t care.

Just ask anyone who has worked around me - once the days work is done (what I call a days work) we can discuss it over one of my sponsors Beers.

Will be working on getting that rear channel fabbed in and back wall straight for now - have a stack of window seals and rubber on my desk here to go through and get some pricing from a couple vendors - then get with the owner.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
You know what? That K18-C is gonna be so nice it may need to end up in a Signal Corp museum somewhere!![thumbzup]

I sure hate to see something that rare end up back like it was when I got it some day.:cry:

But FIRST, I'm gonna make sure THOUSANDS of folks see it at our displays and airshows etc.:papabear:

zout

I am already making fake radio equip from cardboard boxes for PB.

Besides I already see THESE going back on when she's done anyhow to let it know its back home again. There were Yellow #17's on the three corners as well in the Federal paint code yellow - Have no idea what they were but they were proportionate to the decal - PB's call on these numbers but I highly recommend 3rd Army goes back on the rear 3 corners.

Depending on what group this signal corp belonged to would then designate their individual decal.index.jpeg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
YUP!!! 3rd Army it is fellers! We'll work out the specific unit when it comes that time.

Holy snarkelies!! What if we could trace that truck back to Wake Island or some other big operation??

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Holy snarkelies!! What if we could trace that truck back to Wake Island or some other big operation??
Having been to Wake island and seen the bombing effects (60 years after the fact); it's fairly certain no trucks survived on Wake more than a few weeks. I've got quite a few pictures somewhere....

Tin Medic

Here are a few options for units:
10th US Armored Division 150th Armored Signal Company
9th US Armored Division 149th Armored Signal Company
7th US Armored Division 147th Armored Signal Company
6th US Armored Division 146th Armored Signal Company
87th US Infantry Division 87th Signal Company
70th US Infantry Division 570th Signal Company
28th US Infantry Division 28th Signal Company
26th US Infantry Division 39th Signal Company
5th US Infantry Division 5th Signal Company
4th US Infantry Division 4th Signal Company
2nd US Infantry Division 2nd Signal Company
1st US Infantry Division 1st Signal Company

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Here are a few options for units:
10th US Armored Division 150th Armored Signal Company
9th US Armored Division 149th Armored Signal Company
7th US Armored Division 147th Armored Signal Company
6th US Armored Division 146th Armored Signal Company
87th US Infantry Division 87th Signal Company
70th US Infantry Division 570th Signal Company
28th US Infantry Division 28th Signal Company
26th US Infantry Division 39th Signal Company
5th US Infantry Division 5th Signal Company
4th US Infantry Division 4th Signal Company
2nd US Infantry Division 2nd Signal Company
1st US Infantry Division 1st Signal Company
Of course I can check but were all these units part of 3rd Army?

Tin Medic

Yes and there are more. These would be the more well known units. The 146th was at the Battle of the Bulge and the 144th was part of the 4th AD the first unit to reach Bastone.

Tin Medic

I dont think thats a K18. The grill and lights appear to be different and the roof should be flat not rounded. It appears to be a 1942 GMC Model AFKX, they were used as mobil repair shops and ordinance vans. GMC had 10 different versions of the COE in use during the war.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks