• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

zout

PB I felt that the day I saw it and seen it already in the DONE STATE when I came down and seen it - now just to get it there. Stay Tuned

zout

Been working on that passenger side upper roof radius that was shoved in about 6 inches along with the right rear corner. Finally got them pulled out to where I could get some thin smooth coats of duraglass on them to form them and contour them. This is a prelim prep work to get the roof in primer which will take nearly a full night to sand down again after the pressure washing to the galvanized steel - but now to get some adhesion factors going.

The rear is another story and I have a question for the VIEWERS and mice - Does anyone know what happens to you when you mig weld on galvanized steel ??? Look up on Google a term called Metal Fever - its the worse case senerio of taking three or four nasty medications to really FUBAR a human body up. Once you look it up and read it - its another reason to tread mig welding galvanized with the utmost CARE.

SO - the rear holes and drivers side hole are mig welded - plugged and duraglassed over. One more to do on the passenger side that needs a long indentation removed as well. Then a couple 4 holes plugged where the Lee's BBQ must have drilled in and hung a bbq canopy.

The rear bottom edge of the box you can see is all distorted - that is because there is no cross member there anymore as its in rust heaven. I have this getting worked on along with the box door threshold plates to get bent - that is somewhere down the road to get these all in place once I get them in hand.

Here are a couple pics for ya: 100_2072.jpg100_2073.jpg100_2074.jpg100_2075.jpg

zout

I sent PB a couple links today of the K18 & K19 duty during WW2 at Wake Island. I do not know if he got a chance to check them out - but every time I touch hands on the K or his previous WC I just listen and pay attention to these units talking to me of their past history which makes me hit the computer the next day just looking and searching out information - details - any known data - either you just LOVE doing this or your in it for a buck. Guess this explains my cause.

I can already see it done and already working on decal order just to put PB into total K18 shock.

zout

I have one long crease to hammer out on the back passenger side lower panel - one dab smack in the middle of the back - and two bolt holes to finish up filling and 80 grit da sand the entire box from roof down and just maybe by end of tonights mission I can have it all in bare metal primer.

The roof is ready to 80 grit da sand but as soon as that is done it needs to be primed - I see that project for Saturday if it does not rain and before the sun gets too high in the sky.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I have one long crease to hammer out on the back passenger side lower panel - one dab smack in the middle of the back - and two bolt holes to finish up filling and 80 grit da sand the entire box from roof down and just maybe by end of tonights mission I can have it all in bare metal primer.

The roof is ready to 80 grit da sand but as soon as that is done it needs to be primed - I see that project for Saturday if it does not rain and before the sun gets too high in the sky.
AWE MAN!!! Did you have to post that NOW??

I have an important meeting with some whoopteedo fellers at 11:00hrs and now I'm not gonna be able to keep my mind on my work thinking about seeing that baby in primer!!!:drool:

zout

Ah maybe PB got his hopes up too high - I really cobbled up the rear box tonight. My vent was plugged on my gun and shot primer all over me - ahhhh guess what color I am in epoxy. And I had that Sata gun soaking as well.

Anyhow - got all the lower than drip rail done on the box and it really had to be primered before it is suppose to rain this weekend - hope it does not do that again this full year again.
Hope ya all have been checking out in between my blah blah blah posts about the history of these unit and at Wake Island. I now have a lot of respect for those signal personnel - they went through some nasty chit just to hang communication lines.

Just so you know after this weekend I am taking a two week break from the K18 and need to get onto cleaning up the gheto around here for the cookout. That is orders from the boss BTW. New pressure washer arrives tomorrow as the old one is toasted and in the Dekalb Co Dump at this time - sa la vi.100_2076.jpg100_2077.jpg100_2078.jpg100_2079.jpg

zout

PB has a perfectly good camper that only needs a full suspension now and a complete rear end (did someone mention running off road on the way to the GA RALLY last year) that would have been a good candidate for the K.

I have been searching high and low and it appears these K19 trailers are non existant. The complete unit hooked up comes up under a full new # as well for a signal communication system.

PB will just have to settle for having some crummy sounding music over loudspeakers mounted to the roof and dressed in an ice cream vendors uniform for now.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
WOW!!! I'm about as nervous as a ho' in church!!!
After a 30-40 year stagnant life sitting under trees and drawing spiders, wasps, and squirrel poop the ole girl is starting to look forward to her former glory!!:-D

Zout just told me on the phone that he had the engine turning over by hand!!:shock: Of course we wouldn't dare trying to hook up a battery or anything. I want to pull the whole power train and go thru it before we mess around with it.

Commander Warp...by my estimate you are about two months ahead of schedule so PLEASE take some time with Deb and take a very well deserved break in the K-18 action.:beer:

The Imperial First Sergeant has spoken!:papabear:

zout

Well PB - well timed. One time a year I am taking ONE day off tomorrow for myself. See if ya know what that means.

I bet that engine power plant comes out before you get your paws on it - besides I need to do the front frame/firewall so I need that hunk o chit outta my way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks