• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

zout

Got home - just too dang hot to get on the roof of that K and get it sanded and into primer - that is an early morning late evening task. After doing the M43B1 ambulance roof pushing 150 degree's on the roof in the full sun actually did teach me a lesson.

So being in a celebration mood from today - I got the little bit of sanding on the passenger side done - all wiped down with fingerprint remover/wax remover - got a pot of TM 8 loaded up and here is the 1st coat. ALL of this will eventually get wet sanded from the DA using the Trizack 3m system in 1000 grit - I have up to 6000 but not for this. Then overshoot the entire K when ready - but just to give you and I a peek loot - here she is: DSCN0023.jpgDSCN0024.jpgDSCN0025.jpg

zout

Looking GOOD my butt - that K looks bodacious if I could be so modest. It is frickin SPECTACULAR and no less. Its K unit as rare as it is a pride and joy for the owner.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
This does not happen often but I'm speechless...er...typeless....:drool:

I'm gonna have to call Doc and ask for some turbocharged heart pills before I come up there Friday!!:roll:

OH, did I mention:drool::goodjob::papabear:

zout

After seeing this pic of what he wants changed - I went back down and chalked out the outline an fired up the plazma cutter - it is now an open air rear end on the K - anyone know what color YELLOW that is or its paint code so I can start re-shooting paint before Fri night ??

Neighbor is missing his 5th wheel pin assembly in the back of his dually - seems its now mounted in that open area on the chassis of the K - go figure -

zout

Na Tin Medic - just a PIB sometimes :beer:.

The OD looks pretty bright in the pic - it had not dried out yet and shot that pic just after shooting it. It will mello out to a really nice flat brownish looking surface. Besides that its only the first coat.

The inside of the box window frames have to be painted as well so I can get the window channels in - channels will be sprayed seperately. I did get the remainder of the steel window channel for the 12 vertical runs - the horizontal tops are already done and ready to be installed.

All to come after the celebration here this weekend.

zout

I sure hope you can Tin - I have seen yourself and others in previous past posts about this K 18 - that is why I have such a tough crowd to please and do right by the truck - that alone is my first objective. Thanks for the kind words Sir.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Dave as always great work and folks don't worry about how OD it does or doesn't look. Stole this from another site
wwii odpaint.jpg

steelypip

Dave as always great work and folks don't worry about how OD it does or doesn't look. Stole this from another site
View attachment 490052
I actually took a color science class in college, along with a lot of other stuff. The color science class has proved useful a lot of times since, much to my surprise.

Without going into huge amounts of detail, TV, cameras, etc nearly never have the ability to properly render colors in the brown and purple families. OD is green mixed with brown, so it is just about never well rendered. Add in color temperature problems from different light sources and differing color filters on the camera and presto - you can end up with anything between dark tan and forest green for a correct WWII US Army OD.

Wallyboy

Papabear & Zout
Just wanted to say hello to you and everybody else.
I purchased my K-18 several months ago, and have the long restoration road ahead for her.
I am attaching a photo of mine, let me know if there is anything I can help with.
You are making fantastic progress on the K-18 !

WalterP1150048.jpg

Last edited:

tirediron2

Nice to see you got it home....looks good!

Here's a couple more pics:
Nice to see that it has a home. I dispute the characterization as ugly, that is really just "character". I enjoyed comparing your pictures with those of my K18C that started life as a communications van with trailer. It is interesting to me see how the sheet metal that faired the cab into the Hicks van body was modified on my K18C to create the semblance of a civilian GMC C.O.E. Underneath the red paint the olive drab original color can be seen. The name "Golden Bomber" is emblazoned on the bull nose. That and other factors lead me to speculate that the vehicle did military service at the nearby Hawthorne Army Depot where they store ammunition. Visible on the left side of the steering column is what appears to be a trailer brake. in my attempts to devise a new format for the vehicle I have accumulated a large number of pictures, some sketches and I have taken pictures of subassemblies on my vehicle. They are in an online album on Picasa. They may be redundant to those you have already seen but should you like to to see them message me an email address and I will send the link.
PICT0012.jpgPICT0003.jpgPICT0009.jpgPICT0022.jpgPICT0027.jpg

Last edited: