• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

zout

Glass frames are in great condition - just ask him how the windshield frame on his WC was when I got done with it.

The fastener screws are not a big deal - they just hold the framework together so the glass does not fall out. I will use the state of the art caulk in the framework to seal the glass in tight so there will be no further moisture intrusion - then just trim away the caulk off the glass. Get these finished up tonight and tore down and get into blasting them this weekend - I expect the glass to be back this afternoon so hopefully they are all standing by for installation.

Then I'll get onto the cab two windows.

Hang in there and stay tuned.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Wow, when this baby gets done we are gonna have our own little WWII vehicle section at rallys/displays!! K-18C, DUKW, WC-22, MB w/trailer and er...whatever comes next!!:beer:

nattieleather

Did you all find the hood number on the truck? I'm just wondering. You might have heard the jingle 'call the glass doctor he'll fix your panes.' Well it's more like call the commander he'll fix the (trucks) panes. ... :lol:

zout

I have been working diligently on a project here at work with a couple big sheets of cardboard.

Advised Zout2 I would spend the entire day with her (Mothers Day) and whatever she wanted to do - I then advised her I made a few look alike figurines out of the cardboard I could place around the K18 while I worked on it - thus being able to spend the entire day with her (well sorta) ------- ahhhh works for me.

I have absolutely no clue how she has lost her sense of humor around me !! go figure.

zout

Funny how my figurine looks just like Dana Patrick of GO DADDIES - mmmm - Zout2 found no humor in it and I told her that they must have been twins.

Frames all broken down and cleaned out - blast the 6 of them tomorrow - glass for the 6 here as well and Silka Flex to mount.
That other thing is another project in between in all the spare time I have - some day it will be done.IMG_1405.jpgIMG_1406.jpgIMG_1407.jpgIMG_1408.jpgIMG_1409.jpgIMG_1410.jpgIMG_1411.jpgIMG_1412.jpgIMG_1413.jpgIMG_1414.jpg Metal bundle is all the vertical window run channel. The springs are the regulator springs - two that are looking good are almost ready to break as well.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I promise not to park the K-18 in the woods so some bastage kid can shoot them new windows out!!:roll:

We are gonna pull that other 270CI block out of the trailer tomorrow and take a close look at it. If it looks ok I'm gonna turn it in to the machine shop and do whatever needs to be done. That's a super thick block so I'm willing to bore 60 over but no more than that.
Gonna turn one of the heads in also and get it up to snuff so we can put it back together when we get everything needed.

Those sure are some weird looking regulators!!:roll:

zout

All the framework blasted down - all the regulators blasted. 4 of the six operators are functional and run smoothly at this time - the other two culprits are getting a soothing luxurious FREE bath in Evapo Rust solution. Tried heating them - PB blaster and other array of tricks and no luck - leave them in there for a couple days and get them to give up the ghost.

Got three windows assembled and will let them dry then get the other 3 done - then trim off the caulk - tape - paint - install.

Dragged out some other parts and started picking on them.IMG_1415.jpgIMG_1416.jpgIMG_1417.jpgIMG_1418.jpgIMG_1419.jpg

zout

Just my personal input after lots and lots of research on these units - my conclusion would be hood markings to be:

U.S.
Army Air Force 035
or:
U.S.
AAF 035

Previous original markings on the hood reveal 035 and I cannot find anywhere where a W ######## would come from.
3RD Army insignia to the back three corners is a given marking and 3 piece stencils getting made.

Owner has the last say in what gets puts on his truck - this is just my input from all the detailed reading I have done of the signal corp. There was a book I was going to buy in great detail of these trucks but it is in hardback cover at the price of $89.00 - but from what I read it was breathtaking reading.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Zout, I would feel comfortable putting "W41-S-035" as the registration number for the hood. I think the "W" was dropped in 42 or 43.

I to have done lots of research and chased all kinda sub-sites until I'm blue in the face!:roll:

It's almost like these trucks never existed or disappeared into thin air with almost NO history written down like most MVs!:shock:

Doc was saying today: "It's sorta good that there is no history to be found and not many around, that way you can do whatever you want and there is nobody that can challenge you"!!:roll:

I DID find one website that said an early Signal Corp vehicle would have an "-S" in the registration number to designate it as a signal truck. So maybe it should read "W41-S-035"?? That works for me if you are satisfied.

Last edited:

zout

PB - I was just throwing ideas - its your machine and I will do whatever you wish - just throwing stuff out there but in the end its all your call.

My son and his friend do T shirts and graphics and have the machinery to do them. They did Debs jeepy - Swiss CUCV - PB's WC - My M909. The oil board stencils for the back are three piece each - total 9 pieces - you'll just have to keep watching to see how they get painted on so they have DEPTH & will pop out at you.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
PB - I was just throwing ideas - its your machine and I will do whatever you wish - just throwing stuff out there but in the end its all your call.

My son and his friend do T shirts and graphics and have the machinery to do them. They did Debs jeepy - Swiss CUCV - PB's WC - My M909. The oil board stencils for the back are three piece each - total 9 pieces - you'll just have to keep watching to see how they get painted on so they have DEPTH & will pop out at you.
Ummm... I didn't know they did t-shirts!! Why didn't we get them to do the cookout shirts?

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know the communications trucks had the "S" designation. My WC had that. It is usually at the end of the number proceeded by a dash. So I suggest....
W41035-S

:beer:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
W41035-S it is then!:)
I'm thinking everyone will be admiring the Commanders excellent rebuild work and the registration numbers will be the least worried about feature.:beer:
Alas, we didn't get the other 270CI block dragged out of the storage trailer as a priority mission came in so no work on the engine was done yesterday.:oops: I know, WE ARE A BUNCH OF SLACKERS DOWN HERE!:papabear: