• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

rickf

We did shoot a tiny video clip a few folks were sent of it just rolling over for the first time. There will be other videos taken wgen the real action starts to record this into youtube video. My grandson will handle this cause he makes his own produtions now on youtube.

When this happens its link will be posted up for ya all to partake.
As other misc stuff is done the pictures will still be forth coming so this is recorded for history sake.

Its just me and i had my laugh a coupletimes about the truck originally......but now its a dishonor to those that served in it to insinuate its an ice cream truck......it would be like calling Proud American a dump truck. Just a thought and its only my opinion. But i will try hard to give the truck the honor working on it for those that served in it.
Please tell me that when this is done there will be no added funky music! Backfires and expletives are permitted.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We did shoot a tiny video clip a few folks were sent of it just rolling over for the first time. There will be other videos taken wgen the real action starts to record this into youtube video. My grandson will handle this cause he makes his own produtions now on youtube.

When this happens its link will be posted up for ya all to partake.
As other misc stuff is done the pictures will still be forth coming so this is recorded for history sake.

Its just me and i had my laugh a coupletimes about the truck originally......but now its a dishonor to those that served in it to insinuate its an ice cream truck......it would be like calling Proud American a dump truck. Just a thought and its only my opinion. But i will try hard to give the truck the honor working on it for those that served in it.
M E D I C ! ! !

I think my ego has been mortally wounded!
A few "special" folks, I'm sure.
One would think that this major milestone would be something you'd want to share with the Chaplaincy, but NOOOOOoooooooo!!! Only a few of your "best bud's" are "good enough" to be included in your inner circle of viewers of the REBIRTH - aka RESURRECTION - of this Green Iron Creation.
Oh, the feelings of rejection and exclusion.
My ego is bleeding out ! ! ! My sense of "belonging" has suffered a shunning.
Woe is me.
I can only imagine how many others out there are also feeling like desertion is our only option.

roflroflroflrofl

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
M E D I C ! ! !

One would think that this major milestone would be something you'd want to share with the Chaplaincy, but NOOOOOoooooooo!!! Only a few of your "best bud's" are "good enough" to be included in your inner circle of viewers of the REBIRTH - aka RESURRECTION - of this Green Iron Creation.
Woe is me.
I can only imagine how many others out there are also feeling like desertion is our only option.

roflroflroflrofl
You funny GI!! Zout sent me the vid and I tried everything I could think of to get it off my phone and into the puter...but no dice.

Please don't despair Chappy. Zout has a 10 year old on standby to make a vid and post it as soon as he can capture the lil rascal to help us old fellers out.

Patience is a virtue and you of all folks should know that.:naner:

rickf

M E D I C ! ! !

Woe is me.

roflroflroflrofl
Uh-Oh, You hast inflamed the WRONG person sir!!!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the ol' "Pick yourself up by the bootstraps," talkin' to, Sir. I needed to pull myself together and get back in the fight.

The pity party is officially over. And, thanks to some 10-year-old babyfaced kid, we'll all be enjoying great movies on R&R in no time. That goes to show, Audie Murphy wasn't the only young-boy-hero!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N8-wyG0F8w

Carry on.

zout

You had me weeping in my chair and i was soooo ready just to drive down there to comfort you......but thats the difference beteen Godfather IFS and measly me......he just snatches your arse up and straightens you out.

Let me talk to that 10 yr old and see how he is coming befire ya have a panic attack.....geeeeeeez

zout

Where to begin !!!!

Got the carb done at work playing with it on my desk most of the day - installed and OK.
Dist is not passing current through to the plugs and power ends at the Coil - picking up new NON RESISTORED COIL tomorrow - then we will have spark. I know spark is working cause I got zapped really good a couple times.

TO eliminate a thought earlier - the STATER DOES NOT turn the oposite direction if you wire it Neg Ground - it only spin one way just to clear that misconception up.

Basic look of the dist - coil I am playing with.

The electrical jumper connections that were old style that were a disaster waiting to happen shorting each other out - here is a look at the junction blocks with FUSES that will get installed to make safe connections for those circuits used. Easy to write the circuit on the clear case cover - just neater and safer. If they would have been around in 1942 I am sure they would have used these.

Beer is cold while I sip down a little glass of Crown.20150714_153123.jpg20150714_153653.jpg20150714_154059.jpg20150714_162708.jpg20150714_162725.jpg20150714_162743.jpg20150714_165859_HDR.jpg20150714_165908_HDR.jpg20150714_165914_HDR.jpg20150714_165914_HDR.jpg20150714_165932_HDR.jpg

rickf

It is refreshing to look into a distributor and see........................................................ points and condensor.............................................................. and NOTHING else!:roll:
Basics at it's best.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
That ole girl is about as "basic" as it gets. When I look at the vehicles and equipment those soldiers had way back then it renews my admiration for them.

You can almost take a wrench set 3/8 thru 3/4 and do anything needed anywhere on the vehicle. well....except lugnuts!

Sometimes I just wonder if there will be a time when this ancient stuff will have to perform again because the newer "computer age" stuff has gone "tits up" due to some natural disaster or worse??:beer:

Last edited:

zout

That is not a far fetched statement.

That is basically all the tools laid out so far to re-start the engine install process aside from a long and short flat blade screwdriver. The wiring stuff wuld just be the oddball stuff - but the Signal Corp would have that stuff.

Got the new coil on my desk here at work calling and begging me to ditch out of work and get back at it. Geeeze.

zout

Here i will tick some of you off again.
I sent a few of the mafia members of the issue that popped up.
New coil in and we have spark. Its a matter of how slow it is rotating. Timing is on. So to narrow this down with the oem starter being used i belive the starter bushing us causing the drag and slow turning over. As we continue on, tomorrow night before pulling the starter i will hook up neg ground to show it makes no difference.

Stay tuned

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I think the fellers tested that starter here but of course there was no load on it so the test only proved it wasn't locked up and would spin to some degree.

That engine is tight as it is bored 60 over and everything is new including all the valves. It's gonna take some umph to turn her over and it should ease up some as we go along.

If you suspect the starter you can either get that one rebuilt or we can order one at your discretion, or we can convert the system to 12 Volt for more power and still need a starter.

I'd rather stay as close as possible to original but I'm open to recommendations.:beer:

zout

PB saw the short clip i sent him last night.....if you want to see it pm me your # and i will send it.

12V flywheels have a 168 tooth flywheel.
6V flywheels have a 139 tooth flywheel.

12v starter bendix rotates engaging the fw.
6V starter bendix enters straight on.

Will get this one off and sent into a rebuild shop plus get a 12v solenoid on it....that will be more direct current.not change spin and 6v is enough to help the spin.

Did i loose ya yet ?

I can dink around with the master cylinder in the meantime.

rickf

Lost me at the 12 volt solenoid? If you are staying with 6 volt then the voltage will not engage the solenoid. Unless of coarse the solenoid is manually engaged?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks