• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1942 Ford 1 1/2 ton

Redvette

I'm new here and am having trouble getting around this website, particularly posting a new thread. At any rate, my dad died 8/9/2010 while restoring his 1942 Ford 1 1/2 truck. I am trying to get an idea of what it actually is. It's a V8 flathead, 100 hp, model FORDCO, registered # F1631, American LaFrance, Foamite Corp, nomenclature - fire apparatus, date of delivery 8/42, 158" wheelbase. It's in beautiful shape, and was running perfectly before he died, but it's not fully put together. It seems we have most of the parts, but what a mess! Since I can't identify it, it's almost impossible to put a value on it. I have to settle the estate and I have people interested in it...HELP, anyone! I think it's a 298T but trying to get a ballpark value is almost impossible.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Can you add the state you're in to your profile? Maybe someone knowledgeable is close to you and/or may be interested in the truck.

Also it would help get a wild guess at value if you could post some good pictures of the truck.:beer:

Redvette

Pictures of 1942 Ford, I believe a 298T. Sorry it took so long, struggling with this web site. I still have not been able to determine posting/starting a new thread. If anyone can help with identifying this beast and perhaps a value, please email me. redvette@wi.rr.com because I don't think I can visit here often. A million thanks in advance! Carolyn

Attachments

Last edited:

Redvette

We know it was delivered to and used at Truax Field, an Army Air Forces airfield, Madison, WI and was used as a ‘water tanker’, I suppose for fires on the airstrip. Its nomenclature says it was a Fire Apparatus and I’m told it was military, one little difference from civilian being the big tow hooks sticking out the front above the fender. Later it was used on a farm when I believe the water tank was removed. My dad got it mid ’80’s and had been futzing with it ever since. He was involved in his VFW and had planned on using it as a parade truck. He was a carpenter and did the stakes. An old crony of his said it originally had been a tandem. We have the grill (in a million parts) the doors and hardware, the original glass, original mirrors, etc. I guess it’ll take some doing to get it back together, but the hard part is done. I need to sell it to settle the estate and I'm sure the new home owners may want the garage space!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I'm going to recommend you get someone to help put the truck back together/running and take some good pics and maybe list it on ebay. Any value any of us place on the vehicle is just personal opinion or some folks may have experience and get you close to it's value.

What the truck is ACTUALLY worth is what someone is willing to pay for it.
I'm thinking in the ballpark of 5 to 6K if everything else looks as good as what I see and it runs/drives/stops. That's just my opinion...I could be thousands of dollars off in either direction.

I know that's not much help but it's all I got.:beer:

Redvette

Thank you, I was thinking 4K, but I too have no idea. I've seen a few for sale on line, real ratty, about 2,500 and fully restored, like WOW restored, at 10-20K. So yeah, the price is all over. But I'll keep looking, as someone has to fall in love with the beast (as we've called it for 30 years!) as much as we have. Carolyn

Redvette

Cbear, that is so surprising! It could easily be one of those. I just may have to take a road trip to the field or the Wisconsin historical society. Thank you! Carolyn

ducer

Carolyn,
It is sad to say most of the value historically and monetarily was cut away when the fire apparatus was removed. That is the bad news. But from what I can see in the few pictures you posted it looks like your father really liked the truck and put a lot of effort into it's restoration/rebirth. Being that it was built from an old fire truck means the 16,000 plus miles on it are the original miles (unless cluster was changed). Also there was not probably a lot of rust so that means not a lot of body work and possibly no rot at all if so those are very good things. Those of us in the northern climates place a higher value on our trucks that are low milers and solid, people in the south and west where rust is not as big a problem can't appreciate that. If it was me I would spend another $2,000 or so to have the truck put back together and not take a penny less than $15,000 and may get much more. It may take a little time but would be well worth it. There were not a lot of civilian vehicles built in 1942. Flat head v8 power is a big plus and if it has the built with engine (original) even more so. The truck does have a lot going for it still.
I'm not talking out of my but either I have done a few of these type deals in the past and if I had the time and money now I would be driving up to Wisconsin to see you. Good luck!

Denny

Last edited:

Redvette

Thank you! As I began the research and gleaned info from dad’s friends, I realized it didn’t start its life as a stake truck but a fire truck. Being a fire truck on a small base lent itself to low miles and Truax had garages for its fire trucks, so it had minimal exposure to salt, so no rust, no rot. The floor is solid, the doors are rust free, it’s remarkable. I believe the fire accoutrements were removed when it moved to a farm to haul hay. Again, it wasn’t used much in the winter months. And it’s been garaged since the 80’s when dad got it. Odometer is original too and was working the last time it was driven so I believe its original miles. I guess when we get the house squared away (63 years of never throwing anything out, two 30 yard dumpsters, and close to 7,000 pounds of scrap metal later, and yeah, I’m sure we threw out a lot of good stuff, maybe even truck parts) the grandsons might make a project of it. It’s an impressive piece of steel; I have to pull myself up into my F150, but getting into the beast is more like mountain climbing. Again, thanks for your insight, I’ll definitely think on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks