• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1942 GPW Restoration (African Queen Nonprofit)

1943ht

The African Queen Project, a veteran oriented education nonprofit is conducting a summer project in conjunction with the Great Oaks Career Campus working this summer with veterans looking to transition into automotive’s. Our Conservation, Preservation and Restoration (CPR) program is supporting students and veterans interested in seeking a career path in vehicle CPR. We are restoring a 1942 Ford GPW script Jeep as this summer’s project. Great oaks is graciously suppling the space, equipment, instructors and students, and we are providing the vehicle, parts, to include the correct power plant (Dec 1942 complete GPW engine) and mentoring in a joint venture with the local American Legion and VFW.

We have a corporate sponsor who is donating $10K for parts and will be providing magazine coverage for the project. This startup program will hopefully result in multiple African Queen Project summer programs for the next 5 years working on various military vehicle projects with veterans.

I will be seeking information from the forum as we progress as details will become a focal point during this restoration and I’m looking forward to assistance from those who have done this before.
As we progress with parts and supply lists it would be helpful to get some insight to what we will need to consider outside of the normal mechanical and body restoration issues.

For instance what paint color is best for the engine, trany and transfer case? I know they were gray out of the factory, but what colors were the generator, oil filter, starter etc.? What shade/brand of grey paint is recommended for a successful restoration. Are the paints flat or glossy? What is the best restoration and true to original manual/restoration reference to use for our project? I personally have used TM-9 paints in the past with great success and am planning to use the same for body and frame. Any thoughts on that particular product?

We will post pics and verbiage on the forum as we progress with the project. I appreciate any insight and help regards my question about engine paint and the scheme.

Our program kicks off 1 June 21

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Engine and bell housing should be gloss ANSI 61 gray. Engine accessories should be gloss black. Transmission and transfer, same color as chassis. Good luck with the project, $10k is just enough for parts for a high quality restoration.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks