• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1943 BX-2435 2.5kw genset

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adorable little unit. Be aware if you plan to actually use it, the grease in the armature end bearing might be no good after 78 years, leading to a failure. The oil pan may be half full of goop as well, leading to oil starvation.

DJ362

Thanks. I agree - only brief test runs so far. It needs a cleanup inside and out before I troubleshoot the electrical side. Fuel tank is crusty and the bracket for the control panel is cracked so I’ll be into it anyway.

Chainbreaker

In civilian duty back in 1943 a 2.5 KW unit like that could very well have managed to run a typical house with some power to spare. They didn't have all the electronic sucking devices in homes that we can't seem to live without (garage door openers, big screen TV's, microwaves, personal computers, AC/Heat pumps etc.) Back then you were lucky if you had a tube radio & CRT B&W TV, a swamp cooler, small refrigerator, toaster & a few incandescent lights in the average home. My Grandparents farm home would have done quite well matched with that genset!

I've seen a several of those units nicely restored & for sale a few years back on eBay and other places. I almost bid on one in Eastern Oregon shown sitting out in a field that was listed on Craigslist. It had many new spare parts in their original boxes tucked inside... fuses, spark plugs, filters, etc. But I didn't really need another project at the time and someone snapped it up.

Those gensets are a fairly simplistic design & are a nostalgic item representing a bygone yet historic era. Hope you get it restored to full operating condition!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
In civilian duty back in 1943 a 2.5 KW unit like that could very well have managed to run a typical house with some power to spare. They didn't have all the electronic sucking devices in homes that we can't seem to live without (garage door openers, big screen TV's, microwaves, personal computers, AC/Heat pumps etc.) Back then you were lucky if you had a tube radio & CRT B&W TV, a swamp cooler, small refrigerator, toaster & a few incandescent lights in the average home. My Grandparents farm home would have done quite well matched with that genset!

I've seen a several of those units nicely restored & for sale a few years back on eBay and other places. I almost bid on one in Eastern Oregon shown sitting out in a field that was listed on Craigslist. It had many new spare parts in their original boxes tucked inside... fuses, spark plugs, filters, etc. But I didn't really need another project at the time and someone snapped it up.

Those gensets are a fairly simplistic design & are a nostalgic item representing a bygone yet historic era. Hope you get it restored to full operating condition!
So true @Chainbreaker .

I had a guy who had the first house in the area with electric power in it. Roughly two blocks away from my house... It was two cloth covered wires that ran outside of the walls. A light on the staircase, one in several rooms in the house. There was no light switch either. Those lights still worked until he passed a way about 20 years ago. The wires inside my house were early versions of Romex - covered in cloth with a cloth outer cover. Inside the walls though so great things had been happening in the construction world. ;-)

I am sure the numbers were even smaller, but the old house that I bought about 40 years ago had a 60 amp service. Several newer houses in the neighborhood had 90 amp service - so I had "power envy" for a little while. Then when I started rewiring, the standard in 1983 had become 200 amps. Amazing how adding a computer (or several) to all those household appliances "slurped" the juice!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks