• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1943 M5 Generator

Mac53

Hey all,
I picked this up over the weekend! I'm not sure how I did on it as far as price goes, I couldn't really find any others online, but it seems very complete! It even has a wrench that appears to have gone with it? and the manual crank.

I did a little research on them and turned up some info, but not a lot. It is a 3ph, 60/50hz enerator and if possible, I would love to get 1ph out of it (I know, I know....then buy a 1ph gen set). Is this something anyone here has done on these? Everything I've read has been over my head and was by people that had not done it from the sound of it.

Does anyone here have one they restored and can give me some advice? My first step is just to get it running. Compression seems to be good, I'm just trying to get all the varnish out of the tank first.

Also, does anyone here have a parts unit? I'm not sure what I need other than a fuel line (already bent mine...), but it may be handy in the future to know who to go to!

IMAG0431.jpgIMAG0442.jpgIMAG0443.jpgIMAG0444.jpgIMAG0445.jpgIMAG0446.jpg

Mac53

Update:
I have taken all of the cowling off and replaced the oil / filter..... It RUNS! I threw an old battery in it and had it running within just a few turns of the starter. It will now start with the first turn of the manual crank.

Once I start stripping it apart, what would be the appropriate color for it?

Brownac1983

Small world, I'm working on restoring one not too far from you and I'm at about the same stage (just removed the cowling). I'm in Mount Holly, NC. The M5 was originally used to power the M5 director for the 40MM Bofors anti-aircraft gun. It outputs 3-phase 120V, but it's not really 3-phase as it is commonly known. What it actually outputs is 3 single phase circuits. That said, it's not like residential single phase 120VAC. It's more like shipboard power. Typical residential single phase is 120 volts between hot and neutral (which is ultimately tied to ground). The M5 outputs 60 volts from phase to ground, but 120 volts between phases. This will operate most 120v devices, but it's important that you understand the difference for safety reasons (you'll have 2 hot legs). If in doubt run it by an electrician. The way people get 120 single phase from them is to wire phase 1 and 2 as a circuit, phase 2 and 3 as a circuit, and phase 1 and 3 as a circuit. This gives you three 1KW (actually just below 1KW) circuits.

The M5 uses a Hercules ZXB engine, which was also used in the Avery model V tractor and in some sailboats and small Chris-Craft boats. Parts are fairly difficult to find.

The tech manual specifies the color of the cowling as "Lustreless Olive Drab" enamel. There are a lot of other threads here about the proper color of that paint, apparently it varied quite a bit by manufacturer and even from lot to lot. I plan on ordering a gallon from TM9 ordnance works for mine, which will probably be enough to paint ten M5s, so if you want to split a gallon let me know.

Here's a site with some good photos of an M5 adapted to single phase. It also has a downloadable tech manual. http://www.canadianmilitarypattern.com/Generator.htm

By the way, do you have the part number for the oil filter element? Does yours have the sheet metal battery cover? If so, a photo of that would help me a lot. Mine is missing and I'll have to fabricate one. Thanks.

-Drew

Last edited:

Mac53

Thank you Drew!
I'm not much of an electrician, so I'm definitely going to have to look at that for quite a while before I try anything with it.

When do you plan to order your paint? I'm not sure what scheme I'm going to go with on mine, but I will let you know about the lusterless!

That site is much appreciated. I found it on another forum before and didn't save it, I had been unable to locate it again until now.

I will get you the part number later tonight for the oil. Unfortunately, I do not have the battery cover. If you manage to find the measurements or some decent photos of one, please let me know, I will gladly do the same.

Brownac1983

Thank you Drew!
I'm not much of an electrician, so I'm definitely going to have to look at that for quite a while before I try anything with it.

When do you plan to order your paint? I'm not sure what scheme I'm going to go with on mine, but I will let you know about the lusterless!

That site is much appreciated. I found it on another forum before and didn't save it, I had been unable to locate it again until now.

I will get you the part number later tonight for the oil. Unfortunately, I do not have the battery cover. If you manage to find the measurements or some decent photos of one, please let me know, I will gladly do the same.
No problem. I'm not in a hurry on the paint, I work out in the ocean on an oil rig so I won't be home to do anything with it until early next month anyway. I might order it next week. I do have a friend that runs a paint shop in Shelby. Before I order a whole gallon I'll call him and see if he can mix something close to that. If he can, he could probably do a couple quarts cheaper than I could have a gallon shipped.

It would be worth mentioning that I found reference to them also being gray for Navy use (apparently they used them for Bofors AA gun installations on deck of merchant marine ships), so that would be another authentic option.

I do plan to fab up a battery cover when I get back, it should be fairly simple. I've drawn it up but I'd like to see an original to know what it should look like.

One question, what color is your motor? Mine appeared to be a pale gray with just a hint of a blue tint. I'll probably go back with Ford tractor gray. It's close in shade and readily available.

Was yours made by Hobart or O'Keefe & Merritt?

LuckyDog

... It would be worth mentioning that I found reference to them also being gray for Navy use ...

...One question, what color is your motor? Mine appeared to be a pale gray with just a hint of a blue tint. ...
Boy, that sure sounds like yours should be painted "Haze Gray". Then you can "Get underway"

(Sorry, ex-Navy. Everything was Haze Gray on the outside and pea soup green on the inside:-|)

Last edited:

Mac53

Mine is an O'Keefe & Merritt.

The navy idea is definitely something I'm considering.

My engine is a sort of grey/blue as well. I've taken a photo, but I'm not sure how accurate that will be. It also seems that almost everything under the cowling other than the engine was originally OD, but was then painted to match the engine (not the inside of the cowling itself, but the generator, boxes, etc.). I've taken a photo of the engine side of the battery box, you can see the Primer, OD, and then the matching grey/blue.

The oil filter I used was a WIX 51010

Attachments

Brownac1983

Mine is an O'Keefe & Merritt.

The navy idea is definitely something I'm considering.

My engine is a sort of grey/blue as well. I've taken a photo, but I'm not sure how accurate that will be. It also seems that almost everything under the cowling other than the engine was originally OD, but was then painted to match the engine (not the inside of the cowling itself, but the generator, boxes, etc.). I've taken a photo of the engine side of the battery box, you can see the Primer, OD, and then the matching grey/blue.

The oil filter I used was a WIX 51010
Mine has the same engine color. I'm pretty sure the paint is original inside the cowling. Only the engine is that color, everything else is OD.

Oros35

I have 4 of these generators. 2 are Minneapolis Moline, 1 Mission Water Heater, and one O'keefe & Merritt. Currently 1 runs, 2 should run, and one is free but will turn over 350 degrees and hits something. Not sure if there is a stuck valve or something.
I do have some spare parts. Extra brushes, valves, valve springs. And could possibly spare some other parts since there is not enough parts to restore all 4 to original condition.

I'm painting one of the Minneapolis Moline's up now, getting ready for our show in September.

I do have an original battery cover. I had 2 but sold one to the Museum of American Armor on Long Island NY. I attached pictures.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks