• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1951 M48 Tractor recovery

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well today Clinto and I got the M48 home from Shirleys Surplus. I am pretty sure it was one of the first vehicles in there as it was way in the back of the yard. I felt like a rat in a maze trying to extract it from the M35 remmnants. I know Clinto left some paint there from his truck trying to get it out (it was very tight). I have the initial photo in Shirleys driveway where we swapped tires and prepped the truck. I'll post more later tonight. I think Clinto has some from the back of the yard too. Glad it's home and a huge thanks to Clinto for his help. :lol:

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here we were heading out, first time in 30 years plus. Note the "custom" hardtop. It's a soft top frame with metal riveted on with plywood reinforcement.

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We passed right by the Atlanta motor speedway. I thought we should do a lap with the tractor in tow but Clinto kept going. :roll:

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a very wierd thing. The splash shield unbolts..... Front 2/3rds comes off and forward part unbolts from the inside. Has anyone else seen this??

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My next trip up your way I need to stop and touch it. I'd bet there aren't many people here who have ever touched an M48. Probably just you two! Good job Jim and Clinto!

DanMartin

Sweetness...please restore that truck to like-new! Nice to see another one saved.

I'm still amazed that my deuce is 37 years newer than that M48, and how similar they really are.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nice. I have not even heard of them un-bolting. Post up a list of what you need. I stumble across stuff all the time.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
what a day!!!! My arms are still sore!

I went about 330 miles yesterday, give or take. The map isn't exactly accurate but is close enough.

http://shortlinks.net/zem127

Boy, you can really feel that Deuce behind you. I was amazed. It was 100% throttle almost all the way from Shirley's to HndrsonJ's.

And power steering would have been nice when I doing 87 point turns down the junkyard. All those trucks are just out in the field in no sense of direction or order, so it's like trying to tackle an obstacle course.

Here are some pics, sorry we didn't take more but we were too busy busting our humps tring to get outta' there.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
C, in the last picture your winch cable is a mess! You Slackin'?(must have been tired)

citizensoldier

Just so I am clear because I get my numbers mixed up and dont have the book in front of me. A M48 is the early gasser long wheel base deuce tractor right? And to go with what gymp said post up what parts you need. I know of a few stashed old gassers.. Cool recovery both for the truck and clinto.. Looks like he is feeling better..

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
doghead said:
C, in the last picture your winch cable is a mess! You Slackin'?(must have been tired)
No, winch is due for a rebuild. I've always had a hard time getting the clutch engaged on the winch, but yesterday it finally refused to engage whatsoever. So there must be a broken tooth or something similar in there. I am gonna pull it off today or this week and go through it.

They should have put some kind of means on those things to manually spin the drum for these instances :roll:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need alot of sheetmetal and almost all the semi stuff. Especially, ramps, pogo stick, and the super rare spare tire holder. Hopefully I think I have a line on the complete rust/dent free gasser sheet metal replacement (cab fenders ect) and the fifth wheel. It will be restored back to origional with no mods. If anyone knows where there is one especially with the spare tire carrier i'd really like the info, if nothing else i'd just like some specific measurements and pics cause I am thinking I may have to fabricate that. Thanks in advance. :lol:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim, can you please post a pic of the data plate....PLEASE? Also, is this a Stude or a Reo?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Outstanding job men!! Anyone who rescues these old steel soldiers and lets them live out their life with honor has a special place in my book. These things can't be replaced and they are a large part of our Nation's history. Wish more fellers thought like y'all.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I really wish we had taken more pics.

Don't try to buy door glass from Shirley.................................................

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks