• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1951 PE-95K Gen Set, Canadian Version - Refurb

ReoRider

Yup, the flat head 4 cyl can benefit from a compression boost. I've cut .030 off stock heads, but also picked up an after market aluminum high compression head from back in the day. Put it on a Ford GPA and it really does kick up the power, needed due to the 1000 pounds extra weight.

I suspect that the PE95 was designed to run on low grade gas if necessary, and to also keep the stress level low for the long haul. They really are great generators, have heard lots of stories from end users stationed all over the world about their performance.

Peter Phillips

Well she's coming along. Found another skeleton in the way of a bent crank pulley. While I wait for a replacement to come in I started on the radiator. I had a hunch that the top header was some form of bronze/copper but I didn't know it would come out so nice after stripping and polishing. This thing isn't going to look like it belonged in the Military ever again so I think I'll leave it this way. The rest of the rad will be painted black.

Attachments

csheath

​Got quite a bit done, drilled out a broken exhaust stud and re-tapped, welded and refitted the original exhaust back on, soldered up a cracked dipstick cap, welded and re-aligned the governor bracket and put the rebuilt waterpump on. The rest was mostly cleaning, prepping and painting. I'm just going to detail inside the electrical panel as it's pretty clean in there already. There's still a lot of parts to deal with yet but with any luck it'll be running by next weekend with hopefully no surprises. I thought I had a new idler puller assembly and governor bracket from a parts rig in Minnesota but they turned out to be different machines; I'll just have to run with what I got.

Testing to see if font color can be changed.

Peter Phillips

PE-95K Update

Lots has happened since the last post! It's 95% done with a few things left to do like installing the top tray, front cover and fabbing up a battery hold down frame. I ended up having to replace a broken head stud and adjusted the valves after replacing the head gasket. I got around to cutting the cart up and making a flat bed out of it which was the original plan, I'm happy with the finished product. The bearings were all good, cleaned and re-packed and a full chassis lube done. There was a very large, weird shaped fuel tank under that thing that I gave away. I'm in the process of trying to "scrounge" up some good used matching 6.90 x 9.00 tires from the air base here since they want $180.00 a piece at the tire dealer; I can't justify that cost and I can't order new ones from the US for $45.00 each for some reason? Border BS I'm guessing. I've found out it produces AC power but haven't put a good load on it yet which I'll try soon with a space heater.

Anyone have a picture of the original battery hold down frame handy that I can work from?

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks