• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1952 GMC M135

DeeboM135

Hi everyone,

I recently started working on getting my dads 1952 GMC M135 back on the road, need to repair a couple wheel cylinders, wipers, horn and get an inspection done and I should be back on the road. Here's some photo's of my truck. I read over the crossover parts list last night, wow! a whole lot of work has gone in to developing that list, thanks to all who have put the list together.

Thanks

Attachments

SturmTyger380

Your truck has the heater. Can I get a picture of the scoop on the outside of the hood? Mine got lost and I would like measurements to make a new one.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard. How'd that REB shifter get in that truck? I'll just bet there are some cool family stories behind her history. It's a special truck with that cage and Mattech will tell us all about it.

USMC-008 put the time into that document and he knows how much we appreciate him. I slip him a wheel from time to time to keep him bouncing. The new manufactured parts that aren't on that list include spark plugs from Memphis Equipment, Mufflers from the North and Winch Guard plates from the Sea can.

Since that truck is from 52 it might have some unique features. I was looking for the 'rear view mirror' mount in the cab but might need a better picture. I have one for you if it has a mount. The manufacture date and serial number will tell some stories too. It already has the upgraded mirrors so it could be a later build with the number stamped on the frame behind the front passenger wheel. It'll read 113501000 or something like that.

The black-out convoy plate.....mounted behind the rear axle....and the convoy light mounted behind the rear cross-member are often missing. The lights were handy for 24v trouble lights so if you have those, it adds to her personality.

The CFR is sometimes stamped on top of the drivers side frame rail between the grill and bumper cover. If we find CFR info you never know the stories we can dig up from boys who may have seen the truck.

We uncovered the story of an M135 flying kitchen that started on fire while based at Operation Morning Light. The truck still exists and the fellas that watched a snow plow put the fire out told the story.

Our newest roots are in Saskatchewan so we're neighbours and neighbours. http://civildefencemuseum.ca/

DeeboM135

Welcome aboard. How'd that REB shifter get in that truck? I'll just bet there are some cool family stories behind her history. It's a special truck with that cage and Mattech will tell us all about it.

USMC-008 put the time into that document and he knows how much we appreciate him. I slip him a wheel from time to time to keep him bouncing. The new manufactured parts that aren't on that list include spark plugs from Memphis Equipment, Mufflers from the North and Winch Guard plates from the Sea can.

Since that truck is from 52 it might have some unique features. I was looking for the 'rear view mirror' mount in the cab but might need a better picture. I have one for you if it has a mount. The manufacture date and serial number will tell some stories too. It already has the upgraded mirrors so it could be a later build with the number stamped on the frame behind the front passenger wheel. It'll read 113501000 or something like that.

The black-out convoy plate.....mounted behind the rear axle....and the convoy light mounted behind the rear cross-member are often missing. The lights were handy for 24v trouble lights so if you have those, it adds to her personality.

The CFR is sometimes stamped on top of the drivers side frame rail between the grill and bumper cover. If we find CFR info you never know the stories we can dig up from boys who may have seen the truck.

We uncovered the story of an M135 flying kitchen that started on fire while based at Operation Morning Light. The truck still exists and the fellas that watched a snow plow put the fire out told the story.

Our newest roots are in Saskatchewan so we're neighbours and neighbours. http://civildefencemuseum.ca/
Thanks!!
The REB shifter was installed in the truck by my father and from what I can tell, it was a good addition to the truck, I don't seem to have any issues with shifting.
I don't believe that I have the Rear view mirror mount but I'll take a look to confirm. The S/N of the truck is 113500586 and it was delivery on 6-3-52.

Unfortunately I don't have the convoy lights but I would love to try and bring the truck back to original as possible.

I'll take a look and see if I can find the CFR #, I also heard that the CFR can sometimes be in the glove box, will see. Who can I speak to to find out more information about the truck based on the S/N and CFR(if I find it)?

Thanks

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one close to 586 so I'll get a look tomorrow. That's the 586th truck to come out of the plant so it's real early. Many were mothballed, cosmolined and put on blocks in 16 areas surrounding 16 nuclear target Cities so its military life could have been soft.

The CFR, Canadian Forces Registration evolved from the CAR Canadian Army Registration around 1967' when we unified...we unified. Many numbers were scrubbed or replaced but sometimes these fellas come up with some new info.

This millennial facebook thing has a lot of experience riding in the background. Sometimes just a photo will set these guys off and you'll be told things you never asked. Asking about a CFR over here can sometimes find the guy that drove the truck. I'm not sure if it can be viewed without signing up so we may need to follow this up.

There are a few gentlemen that have resources for education purposes so if the info isn't here with this fine man...... http://silverhawkauthor.com/armoure...base-gagetown_447.html?printable_version=true

......we knock on Andrew Burtch's door at the Canada war museum. https://www.warmuseum.ca/
The Professor is one of the nicest human beings you'll ever email or phone. We've only discussed bunkers so if he doesn't know about cfr's he'll know someone that does.
https://www2.carleton.ca/history/people/andrew-burtch/

Then there's this access to information link if all else fails...... we have some pretty cool museum documents from the AIA folks.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We'd sure like your 0-50 mph reading with that reb shifter. Here's a vid without the shifter but dropping in Hilly after 2nd to hang onto 3rd a little longer.....as per the manual.

DeeboM135

I have one close to 586 so I'll get a look tomorrow. That's the 586th truck to come out of the plant so it's real early. Many were mothballed, cosmolined and put on blocks in 16 areas surrounding 16 nuclear target Cities so its military life could have been soft.

The CFR, Canadian Forces Registration evolved from the CAR Canadian Army Registration around 1967' when we unified...we unified. Many numbers were scrubbed or replaced but sometimes these fellas come up with some new info.

This millennial facebook thing has a lot of experience riding in the background. Sometimes just a photo will set these guys off and you'll be told things you never asked. Asking about a CFR over here can sometimes find the guy that drove the truck. I'm not sure if it can be viewed without signing up so we may need to follow this up.

There are a few gentlemen that have resources for education purposes so if the info isn't here with this fine man...... http://silverhawkauthor.com/armoure...base-gagetown_447.html?printable_version=true

......we knock on Andrew Burtch's door at the Canada war museum. https://www.warmuseum.ca/
The Professor is one of the nicest human beings you'll ever email or phone. We've only discussed bunkers so if he doesn't know about cfr's he'll know someone that does.
https://www2.carleton.ca/history/people/andrew-burtch/

Then there's this access to information link if all else fails...... we have some pretty cool museum documents from the AIA folks.
From the shape of the truck theirs a chance that it might have had an easy military life!

I did sign up with on the FB page for Canadian military vehicles and have shared some photo's.

I had no idea that we unified, good to know. If I find a CFR# on the truck I'll reach out over Maplealeafup and see what they can come up with. Hopefully I'll be able to find furhter information about the truck through one of the resource links that you've provided.

Thanks again for all the information!

DeeboM135

We'd sure like your 0-50 mph reading with that reb shifter. Here's a vid without the shifter but dropping in Hilly after 2nd to hang onto 3rd a little longer.....as per the manual.
I'll post a video with a 0-50 time as soon as I can. I think it's quiet impressive how fast the truck accelerates considering it's age, weight and power level.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gracious me my truck Piglet had a birthday yesterday. Happy Birthday Piglet. I knew our numbers were close but had no idea mine were identical, just mixed up. This one was delivered 6 /27 / 52 is 113500685 and was not treated well. If I remember math class our trucks are 99 units apart in 24 days....in June....in 1952.

P6281679.JPGP6281673.JPGP6281678.JPG

There's one CFR on the glove box, another on the door and nothing matches. Your truck got lucky.

P6281676.JPGP6281674.JPG

I did spot an entire horn section in the orchestra, NOS wiper blades in the audience and take-out crate engines I haven't had time to open yet.
Let's get your parts list filled up.......How's your muffler?

P6281664.JPGP6281665.JPG

DeeboM135

Gracious me my truck Piglet had a birthday yesterday. Happy Birthday Piglet. I knew our numbers were close but had no idea mine were identical, just mixed up. This one was delivered 6 /27 / 52 is 113500685 and was not treated well. If I remember math class our trucks are 99 units apart in 24 days....in June....in 1952.

View attachment 804597View attachment 804598View attachment 804601

There's one CFR on the glove box, another on the door and nothing matches. Your truck got lucky.

View attachment 804602View attachment 804603

I did spot an entire horn section in the orchestra, NOS wiper blades in the audience and take-out crate engines I haven't had time to open yet.
Let's get your parts list filled up.......How's your muffler?

View attachment 804599View attachment 804600
Thats crazy how close our trucks are in the productions line! As soon as I get home I'll take a look at what I need, the list shouldn't be too long, I hope!!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found some pictures I took of the Flying Kitchen from Operation Morninglight. The box sides had some brackets welded on so that might tell us a story. This one isn't as nice as yours but some of the Kitchen is there. The pics of the Kitchen from the Ed Storey Collection are over here and the stair mount looks different. Maybe some of the trucks didn't have these brackets. http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18042

P4170103.jpgP4170105.jpgP4170106.jpg90605243_2804992319568861_8017333529236996096_n.jpg

Also found a set of horns on a portable green light siren we were setting up so we have a few extra. The idea is to throw it in the box of the truck when we're in the City and blow it every time the light turns green. That way the textin' drivin' folks know it's time to look up again.

P7061792.JPG

This is the mounting spot for the rear view mirror on the dirty 52' we have.

P7111845.JPGP7111844.JPG

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your truck has the heater. Can I get a picture of the scoop on the outside of the hood? Mine got lost and I would like measurements to make a new one.

A scoop fell out of a sea-can at a buddies so I grabbed you some numbers. It's real close to 6 1/2" x 5 1/4" with a 4" scoop. The flanges are 5/8" with one center hole at the back and side holes 1" down from the opening.

Do you have a bender or should we look for a spare up here?

P7151880.JPGP7151881.JPGP7151883.JPGP7151884.JPGP7151885.JPG

DeeboM135

I found some pictures I took of the Flying Kitchen from Operation Morninglight. The box sides had some brackets welded on so that might tell us a story. This one isn't as nice as yours but some of the Kitchen is there. The pics of the Kitchen from the Ed Storey Collection are over here and the stair mount looks different. Maybe some of the trucks didn't have these brackets. http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18042

View attachment 806047View attachment 806048View attachment 806049View attachment 806061

Also found a set of horns on a portable green light siren we were setting up so we have a few extra. The idea is to throw it in the box of the truck when we're in the City and blow it every time the light turns green. That way the textin' drivin' folks know it's time to look up again.

View attachment 806044

This is the mounting spot for the rear view mirror on the dirty 52' we have.

View attachment 806045View attachment 806046
Yah that flying kitchen unit has seen better days!! That's a pretty sweet set up they had for kitchen unit, in the newer truck the kitchen is on trailer that open's up like the truck unit.

LOL.. I'm sure you'll get the attention of more than a few txter's with that horn.

Do you happen to know which models came with the rear view mirror?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks