• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1952 needs brakes and things.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@NDT I looked more closely the number is 120306, but I will keep looking for other numbers.
That is the VIN/serial number. Does not show up in the historical VIN database (no surprise). Red arrow is where it would be if it were there. Not being in the database is expected as the database contains trucks that the Army still had in the 90's. Yours was clearly surplused in the the 60's.

Attachments

sreng

That is the VIN/serial number. Does not show up in the historical VIN database (no surprise). Red arrow is where it would be if it were there. Not being in the database is expected as the database contains trucks that the Army still had in the 90's. Yours was clearly surplused in the the 60's.
Thank you for your time to respond to my questions. I am very grateful.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@m1010plowboy Thanks for the info. Looks like M35 parts are still out there. I am curious about the brake system, Most M35s I find online have two air tanks, but this one just has a little canister where the larger tanks would be.
View attachment 884866
that is a civilian-type hydra-vac unit typically found on medium-duty hydraulic-brake trucks of the 40's - 70's .. Basically an oversized automotive power brake booster like in your car or pickup truck.. The large rubber hose is the vacuum feed from the manifold. This is being used in lieu of the military air pack booster .. They work great until your engine quits.. The last reman one I bought for a 50's IH civ dump was in 2006 through a local auto parts store. I don't know if they are still available

Last edited:

BaconFarms

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 1950 M34 has a REO engine in it. And, from what I recently read in the Military parts manual, 12 volts would be correct, and mine is 12 volt. Mine has an air pump and the air over hydraulic brakes. Being that it is a gas engine with vacuum, probably was easier for civilians to convert to the hydrovac system of the day. All of my civilian 40', 50' and 60's trucks have hydrovacs.

Nice looking truck. Another gasser!!

BaconFarms

sreng

@m1010plowboy It sounds exactly like an old sewing machine. The engine plate shows it got a full overhaul in 1971 at a maintenance plant in SC as far as I can read it. The manifold does not have Gold Comet on it, so I think it is a Continental.

Your engine smells like a Continental and if it is we'll need to hear it run. The Conts I've heard before are quiet and sound like a sewing machine when they are running right.

Last edited:

BaconFarms

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@m1010plowboy It sounds exactly like an old sewing machine. The engine plate shows it got a full overhaul in 1971 at a maintenance plant in SC as far as I can read it.

Looks exactly like my REO Gold Comet 331, Just sayin..

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@m1010plowboy It sounds exactly like an old sewing machine. The engine plate shows it got a full overhaul in 1971 at a maintenance plant in SC as far as I can read it. The manifold does not have Gold Comet on it, so I think it is a Continental.

That's the first time in a long time just hearing an engine made me smile. Thank you. Most of that valve noise will go away once adjusted. There's just something good about an inline six.

BaconFarms

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's the first time in a long time just hearing an engine made me smile. Thank you. Most of that valve noise will go away once adjusted. There's just something good about an inline six.

I had moved mine out back a couple weeks ago after picking it up from an auction. Yesterday, I noticed that I didn't have it quited in line with others, and my OCD kicked in. It had been down to 10 degrees, but it was 30ish. I put my foot on the started and after it started spinning I pulled the choke and off she went. And yes, it purrs like a kitten. 1st gear and moved it forward. LOL. Yes, it makes one smile!!

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@m1010plowboy It sounds exactly like an old sewing machine. The manifold does not have Gold Comet on it, so I think it is a Continental.
yeah, I concur.. That does not sound anything at all like any Reo "gold comet" deuce engine I have ever been behind in the service (M49C) and in my own business (M49C and M108 ). The comets I know were/are smooth and even with a steady "brrrrrrrrrrrr" out the pipe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks