• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1952 REO M41

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reo never made military 5 ton trucks. Just IH and Diamond T at first, then Kaiser Jeep later on in the 1960s.
We must not forget Mack made a small number of the early 5-ton gassers as well .. I ran into a couple Mack gassers over the decades, and Diamond-T seems to have produced a larger number of 5T gassers than Mack, since I have bumped into several.. But IH built by far the lion's share of 5T gassers of all different models.. Would be curious to know if Diamond-T and Mack were restricted to build only one or two models in the series, such as I have seen D-T M62's and M51's, but only have seen a few Mack-built M51's .. And of course seen and drove dozens of these and all the other M39-series models built by IH, and own(ed) a few... Does anyone out there have any Diamond-T gassers other than M51 and M62? And does anyone out there have any Mack gassers other than M51?

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mack 5 tons got the ENDT-673 diesel engines. HP ratings in the low 200 (225?). I saw a Mack 5ton converted to a brush truck that starred in a tv show. The truck was mint, the ENDT sounded awesome and the truck had upgrades such as armour plate at the bottom to be able to drive hard in rough terrain without tearing everything to shreds.
The tv show managed to completely destroy the truck.

Edit:

It bugged me and I spent a couple of hours figuring out which show that was. It was called "Breaking Point" on Discovery Channel, hosted by two a**... I mean..characters.
If you have Amazon Prime, it is the last episode of Season 1.

Some pictures:

breaking point 1.JPG

breaking point 2.JPG

breaking point 3.JPG

breaking point 12.JPG

breaking point 4.JPG

breaking point 6.JPG

Too bad about a nice, rust free truck in perfect running condition, destroyed for absolutely no good reason.

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mack 5 tons got the ENDT-673 diesel engines. HP ratings in the low 200 (225?)
yes I had read somewhere a number of the gassers went back to Mack to be re-motored with the ENDT in the 1960's.. However, there are some mack 5T's still around with the R6602 although few and far between .. And thank you G744 for indicting you had a M62 Mack .. Now I know Diamond-T and Mack assembled some of the M51's and M62's .. Hope to learn if they got to build any of the other models in the early M39-series .. IHC was incredibly busy during the entire 1950's with its civilian line of light-medium-heavy trucks, including huge orders for commercial models of all sizes for military and civil service, yet still managed to design, forge, cast, and build the majority of the 5-tons at the same time.. Eventually IH got too big for its britches.. I believe 1962 was the final full year of IH M39-series production but needs confirmation .. I own a late-1962 M51, all the other IH's in my herd are from the 1950's

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
\\ It has the continental 6602 in it which runs fairly decently but needs some ignition work.
when you get around to working on that engine, here is the baseline sound of one .. Mine breathes better due to an enlarged muffler outlet with 4" tailpipe, but "that sound" is what you will be looking for ....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks