• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1952 REO Studebaker 331 Engine

Takarst

hey there, would like to say this site is amazing. the info ive found and peoples knowledge is great. I recently bought a 1952 6x6 . with all my reading I assume its a m34. it was bought from a township that rigged it up as a winch truck. has pto front winch and a pto rear winch for the poles. my plans are to bob it with 46's and hide the gin poles down beside the bedsides until needed. don't need them very long since the truck will be fairly tall anyways. it runs and drives with the 331 engine. im gonna pull it out and replace it with a small or big block gas. don't want to put a diesel in it since the tranny is none overdrive, and I have the v8 parts sitting around. don't care about mpg as im only a few miles outside town and don't need to drive it a lot, as its a toy. I was wondering what the engine is worth? it was gone through about 15 years ago with rings, sleeves, and bearings. is there anyplace that would buy it from me as an inventory for restorations? any leads would really be appreciated. thanks

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Could you post a couple pictures of your truck? Sounds interesting.
There are a few people on the site restoring gasser deuces that might have an interest in your 331. It probably won't bring a ton of cash but I'm sure someone would pick it up.
Welcome to the site.

Barrman

It is your truck to do with as you wish. I wanted to write that first so you don't think I am trying to tell you what to do because I am not.

I have a '52 REO M35 with a 331 Gasser engine. I also have some sports car type gasoline powered cars I auto cross. Basically, they all fit in the same category of being seldom driven, often ignored and expected to run when I get in them. That REO will run on years old gas, always starts if the batteries can turn it over and then runs great. All the rest of my gasoline powered fleet will not work correctly if left sitting more than a few weeks, always need fresh gas and another carb rebuild.

My point is with todays chemical experiment gasoline. You might want to stick with a simple engine that always starts but might lack power compared to something you are going to be messing with every time you want to drive it. Of course, if you really want to go to the dark side. Go diesel and never worry about it sitting or being able to start right up again.

Several OA331 engines have been offered for sale on this site in the past 10 years or so. They don't bring much if they bring anything at all.

rcflyer70

It is your truck to do with as you wish. I wanted to write that first so you don't think I am trying to tell you what to do because I am not.

I have a '52 REO M35 with a 331 Gasser engine. I also have some sports car type gasoline powered cars I auto cross. Basically, they all fit in the same category of being seldom driven, often ignored and expected to run when I get in them. That REO will run on years old gas, always starts if the batteries can turn it over and then runs great. All the rest of my gasoline powered fleet will not work correctly if left sitting more than a few weeks, always need fresh gas and another carb rebuild.

My point is with todays chemical experiment gasoline. You might want to stick with a simple engine that always starts but might lack power compared to something you are going to be messing with every time you want to drive it. Of course, if you really want to go to the dark side. Go diesel and never worry about it sitting or being able to start right up again.

Several OA331 engines have been offered for sale on this site in the past 10 years or so. They don't bring much if they bring anything at all.
I couldn't agree more. I've had my 53 stud approaching 25 years now. It has set for years on numerous occasions, quickly starting every time with freshly charged batteries. In that time, the carb has only been rebuilt twice (within the first year after buying it and 2 years ago). I finally had to replace the distributor, plugs and wires. While they don't have a ton of power, they are dependable in all weather.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For all of our gas motors in older trucks and tractors that sit for a while between runs and in lawnmowers and chain saws we use Country Mark 91 octane alcohol-free gasoline. It is available in one pump at their stations here. We detest the alcohol fuel because it creates evidently an acid that destroys everything; tanks insides, carb parts, fuel lines, etc. With the 91 we have had the problems go away. Works like the "old" fuel did before the alcohol craze. This alcohol-free fuel is also available at marinas here because the boat fuel is alcohol free. A bit more expensive but not really when you consider all of the cost of repairs due to the alcohol.
So someone tell me the answer to my big mystery; with the alcohol in the fuel, why do we still get fuel line freeze-up unless we add Heet??

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good, what is the number under "US AIR FORCE"? The two digit number is the year the truck was acquired by the Air Force. What does the dash data plate say? Could have been a fire truck or line repair truck V17A-MTQ, but is the M34 type single wheel chassis like you say.

JulesF

Did you end up replacing the engine? I have a 1953 Studebaker with the 331 engine on it but mine needs new rod end bearings which means it needs a new cranckshaft most likely. I'm thinking that instead of trying to repair the old engine I want to replace it with a newer more popular gas engine. I do not want to do diesel either. I have no clue what engine would be a good fit for this truck that is economical at the same time. I Do want to keep same tranny.

Takarst

I did swap to a small block chevy. Very easy to do. Grain truck bellhousing and thin plate for the bigger bolt patern. Used the old clutch too, just needed a bigger flywheel. Made engine mounts up front, and some on the bellhousing like the bigger trucks, since the tranny just hangs in the deuce anyway. Very simple swap.

JulesF

Hi Setoyota. I'm in big need of a good old gasser. Mine jus went though #5 and #6 rod end bearings and the oil was very sparkling when I drain it. I will follow up on a private email to determine what I need to do to get the gasser.