• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1952 Studebaker V18A/MTQ

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Marcus, I'll tell you where the yard is as best I can (not being from the area) - it is East of Lowes. Drive in front of Lowes, just beyond it there is an intersection, turn right. This new road then bends sharply to the left, roughly paralleling the interstate - a half-mile or so along the way an older road breaks off to the right, take it - scrap yard is on the right 2-300 yards down.

IF you drive eastbound on the interstate when you pass Lowes look to the left - before you get to the next exit you will see the polesetter and a five-ton tractor (sans engine) sitting beside a white 40' van trailer.

Sorry for poor directions, wasn't noting signs, only tracking down the truck!

Best wishes,
David

JDToumanian

Thanks David! That's a great tip... Although mostly complete and in excellent condition, my truck still needs some parts that are unique to these trucks...

Marcus, when you find this place, I'd love to get some contact info so I can talk to them about what I need... Here's the V18-specific parts I want:

- Rear winch chain. I discovered that the M60 wrecker uses the same rear winch and power divider, so probably the same chain, too... Not that there's lots of M60s sitting around. :roll:

- Rear winch control lever bracket... the bracket that bolts to the cab floor and supports the winch control lever / pivot to the left of the driver's legs. The bracket on mine is poorly made out of a piece of torch-cut angle iron and isn't the right size, causing the clevis on the bottom of the lever to hit the top of the tool box.

- Power divider linkage. (To the right of the transfer case shifter, it's a long rod that connects the lever to the power divider). Mine is broken right at the lever's clevis, perhaps from someone stepping on the lever as they climbed through the cab. I could fix mine, but if an unmolested example is available I'd take it.

- Pole jack... I attached a pic of this, it was a BII for the V-18 and the V-17... It's a jack for breaking the suction while trying to pull a utility pole out of the ground. They're available new but cost several thousand dollars.

Regards,
Jon

Attachments

Last edited:

Flatlander

These trucks might have some of the parts you're looking for...two auger trucks in these pics. The one on the right in the first picture and the one in the background in the other. Both gassers. The yard is in Plainview, TX and is called McDonald's Trading Post. I can look for you next time I'm through there...

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Flat, those look too complete to be parts trucks. If I'm not mistaken, that crane model was featured recently in MVM and it's not that common. Would make a really neat resto job.

JDToumanian

These trucks might have some of the parts you're looking for...two auger trucks in these pics.
Wow, I can't believe I missed that thread! The irony is that I missed a thread that included pics of V-18s while I myself was preparing for my trip to pick up a V-18 (you posted the pics the weekend before... I wasn't online much).

Anyway, I can't believe they would part those out - they look too good - but maybe? One is complete and the other is missing a lot of parts? Maybe they would sell parts off the incomplete one...

I'd love to get more information, and contact them. I Googled the name and came up with nothing...

Thanks for the tip!

Regards,
Jon

JDToumanian

Whats the box at the front of the cab? tools? Is the rear winch hiding underneath? Whats the winch capacity?
It's the rear winch... supposedly 20,000 lb capacity, same as a wrecker's rear winch. I can't get the cover open with the derrick down, so I've only gotten a little peek at the winch so far.

Jon

Attachments

JDToumanian

Hi Group,
Finally an update...

I am planning to finally get this truck running, I have had so many other projects the past year or so that I hadn't even touched it. In the next week or so, I am going to drag it from my back yard into my driveway and get started. I have been collecting a lot of parts, including a new old stock exhaust system from the manifold to the tailpipe. New intake and exhaust manifold gaskets, studs and nuts, and a new fuel pump.

Also, I managed to find a brand-new, 60-year-old "Silent Drive Chain" that connects the rear winch to the power divider! Antelope Valley Equipment and Truck Parts never ceases to amaze. It came in a box that had been dipped in wax and then covered in tissue paper, with a mfg. tag dated 9/52 "Rossford Ordnance Depot" .....Cool!

Here's pics of the chain and fuel pump....

Jon

Attachments

Last edited:

JDToumanian

I can't believe how time has flown by, I've owned this truck since 2007 and haven't updated this thread since 2009, but after spending the last few years working on other projects I have finally returned to the V-18... and finally got it running! I still have to finish the brakes and put the new 11.00-20 tires I have onto the original wheels before I can drive it.

The fuel system has been completely replaced or overhauled... Rebuilt carburetor and governors, and new fuel tank, pump, and lines. The new fuel tank is for a multifuel, so I had to make an adapter plate to hold the filter and pickup assembly and the 2-way vent, instead of the in-tank pump and fuse holder. The exhaust has a new manifold and pipes (the old manifold was cracked, the muffler was rusted out, and the pipes from the muffler back were missing). It's also got new plugs and wires, and a new drive assembly in the starter.

I bought a hard cab top for it, and I also recently found an original surplus 15-ton pole-pulling jack, a Simplex 329, the correct model for the truck.

Here's some pics...

Jon

Attachments

JDToumanian

Here's a video of the first successful start... There had been some earlier attempts, but the starter drive was bad so I had to overhaul the starter. Also I had noticed that the engine no longer rotated freely by hand - A few years ago I could grab the fan or belts and easily rotate it. Working on it recently, I could only do it with a socket on the front pulley nut. So when I replaced the spark plugs, I put a few ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder. I let it sit overnight and then I cranked the engine with the plugs out until I had oil pressure.

On the first actual start attempt, the engine tried to run away so I had to kill it immediately... The carburetor / governor linkage was not quite adjusted right. But on both attempts, it started instantly with no long cranking thanks to the priming lever on the fuel pump, and with no choke needed thanks to the hot weather.

Jon

https://youtu.be/tYFz43bLpy8

Last edited:

rustystud

Here's a video of the first successful start... There had been some earlier attempts, but the starter drive was bad so I had to overhaul the starter. Also I had noticed that the engine no longer rotated freely by hand - A few years ago I could grab the fan or belts and easily rotate it. Working on it recently, I could only do it with a socket on the front pulley nut. So when I replaced the spark plugs, I put a few ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder. I let it sit overnight and then I cranked the engine with the plugs out until I had oil pressure.

On the first actual start attempt, the engine tried to run away so I had to kill it immediately... The carburetor / governor linkage was not quite adjusted right. But on both attempts, it started instantly with no long cranking thanks to the priming lever on the fuel pump, and with no choke needed thanks to the hot weather.

Jon

https://youtu.be/tYFz43bLpy8
Just adjust the valves and your golden !