• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1953 GMC M211 for parts????

roux563

Hey Guys (and Gals). I need some advice. A guy here in Knoxville, TN has a 1953 GMC M211 for sale. It is $800. No bed and the tires are shot. He said he had it running 3 years ago. Is rusty, but nothing real bad. Also comes with extra hood and grill. It had a winch, but no longer.

I hate to see this thing go to the crusher. But I don't think it is worth restoring... Is there much demand for used parts??? Any use for the axles?

I am thinking of buying it to part out, to save it from the crusher, but don't want to lose money...

Any thoughts or advice for me?

Thanks!

TODD

Section8

There is always a demand for parts! These trucks are getting harder and harder to find much less get parts for.
I personaly would buy the cab to make mine a crewcab.
The axles are popular with monster mud boggers.
These are rough prices I have found for parts on the internet.
Axles: 300 ish
Complete cab with little to no rust: 500 ish
Engine and tranny in running condition: 500 ish.
Heck even brake cylinders are 30 bucks!
I payed 1000 for my non running 1955 M135.
So demand for parts?
YES!

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heck yeah we need parts!! my XM-211 needs a horn, the hood supports, the drivers rearview mirror. What kind of top does it have, hard or canvas? If it's a canvas job, need that too. The plate that covers the hole where the winch was is another part I need but if that one had a winch, it probably won't have the plate. Some nit-noid this and that parts that i could use as well. I won't hang out and say buy it but if you do and part it out, I'll get on the list at least:!::!::!::!:

tlmob1

I need a bumper, 12" of frame to mount the bumper + the plates that go on top of the bumper, wheel cylinders and a cap for the air hose on the compressor.

vtdeucedriver

This isnt the one thats part of the Tenn Vols Army outside of town???? Dont ask me how I know there is one there but lets just say I lived in Maryville for a yr and I could not imagine driving it on the ALCOA.

Stan Leschert

You might want to post some pics. some parts are easy to find, but others are made of Un-Obtainium. Post the Data plates too.

Up here $800 beans for a good parts truck is a good investment, and we used more of them than USA did.

If you have the time and determination, those trucks were a really sweet ride.

I drive one 2x per month, and it just can't compare to an M36A3.

They have their problems, but you can find the fixes on previous posts on this site.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For $800 I would buy it...if it were closer.

That is the problem you will run into. I have 2 parts trucks. Everyone either wants the same parts I bought it for, or it costs too much to ship the big parts.

Front springs make great bobber kits.
Non-running trucks with unproven transmissions are not too valuable, but get it running and shifting, that is worth a lot.
exhaust manifold $125

Secret: The clear title and data plate is **** near priceless and cheep to ship!

dabtl

I need the shield for the cushion bearing on the winch drive line to use as a pattern for reproduction. I have the under cab bracket and cushion bearing mounts already reproduced. The shield has been illusive to find.

roux563

Thanks Folks! I really appreciate it. The truck was used by the local power company (TVA) as a bucket truck, this that is why the bed is gone. I will likely get this truck.

I read several of you guys want big parts (like a bumper). Wouldn't shipping be high, or are people that desperate for parts?

If I get the truck, I will respond to the folks who provided advice first.

Thanks again,

TODD

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks