• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1953 M104A1 or M105A1

tlmob1

I just purchased from the government liquidation a posted 1953 M104A1 trailer. But looking at the photo's, it looks like a m105 box. I'm going to be looking for a tarp, would anyone know a source that I can look into? This trailer is to match up with my 1952 M135 that I'm restoring now. Thanks for any help you can give.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I don't think 104s ever got updates (A1, A2, etc.).

I believe there are "just" M104s.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a 50's chassis for sure. Could have been an M104 and the unit swapped bodies and landing gear. The data plate (if there and legible) should tell a story for sure.

tlmob1

Thanks a million to all. This is my first trailer to go with my first duece, so excited. Told the wife that I wanted to add more vehicles to my collection, she basically had a cow. I also have a 51 gmc pickup to restore as well and a 53 Case DC-4 tractor too. I relized that I'm stucked in the 50's, Ha Ha. When I'm able to pick up my trailer, I'll post what the data plate says.

tlmob1

I ordered a replacement Connector cable and 2 hand brake handles should be here on Monday. I have to look around for a new air hose plus a tarp.

tlmob1

Received the connector cable and hand brake handles, the handles are the wrong ones. But I'll hold on to them just in case. The trailer cover I ordered came in today, and now I have to put it on. Coool.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There are 2 styles of handbrake cables on the M105 family of trailers, to go with the two different handles.

The M104 handles are turned around backwards, they face downward, so that when the front tailgate is lowered, it doesn't hit them handles.

I have never seen an M104 in person, so I don't know if the handles are 104 specific or just 105 handles inverted.

Judging by your handles and landing gear, I'd say you have a 105 that the military swapped data plates on to.

tlmob1

I received my top last Friday and installed it on Saturday. Looks so cool. Now I need to repalce the air line P/N: 8330805. I may have to go to a Semi trailer place and have them make me one.

Attachments

tlmob1

Was shown a actual M104A1, 99 percent complete for sale. Been trying for the last three weeks to go and pick it up. All the bows are intact and the wood needs to be replaced, 1 safety chain is gone. But the price is just right. The wheels have the rim clips still in place, which I was told is a rare to have them. I should be picking it up this Thursday, I'll have pics posted when I have it home.

tlmob1

Just picked up my what we think is a 1951 M104A1 about 99 o/o original and complete. One safety chain has broken off and the front hinge slats are missing. It still has the bead clips on the both rims. You can see up in the front frame that has had damage at one time. You can see that they had welded more steel onto the frame to add strenght.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks