• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1953 M43 no start...help!!

njjeeper

This is my first dodge MV so please excuse me if I am missing something obvious. The story on this truck was that it was driven to the field 6 years ago. So, the story is it should run. I drained the bad gas, flushed the lines wih fresh gas and put a few gallons in the tank. When the starter is turning, fuel shoots out of the line to the carb. I removed the odd elbow on the carb so I could see the choke plate and dump gas in if need be. Pulled a few plugs and verified they all spark when it's turning over. All this, and the thing still refuses to run. Gas down the intake only seemd to flood it out. Most times it doesn't even try, other times, it will sputter just a bit. I am trying to start with the choke fully engaged. Batteries are fresh. Any ideas will be much appreciated!!

zout

NJ - without reading any further in your FIRST post - welcome from GA and good to see you here (I have a 43 if I ever can get it back from the ruthless bandits down in Columbus)

zout

Other than an Awesome welcome to the SS site

There is an accelerator pump internally in the carb. I would start by pulling the carb and do a rebuild on it. It appears you have spark and cleaned the fuel system, This may be all you need to do to fire it up. Then do an good oil change/filters etc and a really good going over before moving it.

There are several vendors to purchase rebuild kits from - the one I personally use is Midwest Military and the gentlemans name is John - great to deal with.

NOW the big thing when you post on SS - where are your pictures of your 43nopics

njjeeper

Thanks for the welcome!! I'll get some pics in another thread :)

I got it running but it's not good news...tried gas into the spark plug holes and nothing. Pulled the carb and cleaned it out. Noticed a huge pool of gas in the intake just laying there. I figured perhaps there wasn't enough compression to suck the fuel in. Pulled the plugs and put oil in the cylinders. It fired right up and ran real nice. Smooth, truck even drove around some! Shut down and no restart. Smoked like crazy the whole time it ran. Could be he oil I put in the cylinder but I doubt it. I ran it for 20 mins and it still smoked. Ughhhh....looks like im in for a full rebuild. Anyone have a line on a good used motor??

135gmc

You might find it has stuck valves or stuck rings - they will sometimes break loose, but it sounds like its time for a rebuild. But a rebuild is actually kinda good news - you'll wind up with hardened valve seats so unleaded won't be a problem, plus you'll know you have a solid motor. If you have stuck rings, as a minimum, you need to pop out the pistons, free the rings, and hone the cylinders.

njjeeper

Quick update! It runs quite well now and starts right away.The idea about stuck rings gave me an idea. I have used ATF many times to free up stuck motors. Lawnmowers, snow blowers, etc that were run out of oil and locked up. FOr the small engines I put as much atf into the cylinder as it would hold and let it sit for a few days. Then, I wack the piston top(using wood or brass) until it moves a bit and let it sit another day. That trick has never failed to free a stuck engine for me. On the M43, since it wasnt stuck there was no hitting involved. Just lots of soaking with ATF. Yesterday I got the extra atf out and changed the oil. It fired right up off the crappy batteries. Smoked like a chimney, but atf in the cylinders will do that. I let it burn off all the atf and then let it sit. It started right up this am, at 35 degrees outside. So, it may be worn out but at least I can run it until I get a rebuild setup or a spare motor. Thanks for all the tips!!