• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1954 REO M35 Recovery

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Innnnnnteresting. But notice that the cylinders are in a slanted configuration. Mine are right on top of each-other. Also the foot long extension, do you guys think that was done by the military or once it got into civilian hands?
Yours was civilian.

54reo

Are you thinking bolster truck perhaps?
Yes, as this makes the third truck with that model designation (the one at Jack's, this truck, and my '54) that I know of.

The first and third pictures that Jim posted are of a M45 based bolster truck; the only one I know of with the original bed components still in place.

The vertically stacked air tanks on the OP's truck are a civi modification.

I have a theory on the whole "model designation" thing, but I really need to get with DD on it all.

And btw, if any of you gasser guys (Maccus, Jim, barrman, etc) have a copy of the 9-8022 that shows a picture of the bolster truck, I would really appreciate a copy posted...

54reo

Oh, and it also appears that your truck has the (desirable) REB kit installed.

At least the data plates for it are still there.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, as this makes the third truck with that model designation (the one at Jack's, this truck, and my '54) that I know of.

The first and third pictures that Jim posted are of a M45 based bolster truck; the only one I know of with the original bed components still in place.

The vertically stacked air tanks on the OP's truck are a civi modification.

I have a theory on the whole "model designation" thing, but I really need to get with DD on it all.

And btw, if any of you gasser guys (Maccus, Jim, barrman, etc) have a copy of the 9-8022 that shows a picture of the bolster truck, I would really appreciate a copy posted...
That middle truck also has the same data plate. I'm thinking they weren't necessarily bolster trucks but were M45's with winch, tanks on the left etc. They are both Army Corps of engineer trucks. I am wondering if that was the platform that they used for their base trucks. I have all the gasser manuals and I haven't seen a pic of the bolster trucks that I remember other than one DD had in an article in MVM about rare deuces (Think it was feb-2008 ).

54reo

That middle truck also has the same data plate. I'm thinking they weren't necessarily bolster trucks but were M45's with winch, tanks on the left etc. They are both Army Corps of engineer trucks. I am wondering if that was the platform that they used for their base trucks. I have all the gasser manuals and I haven't seen a pic of the bolster trucks that I remember other than one DD had in an article in MVM about rare deuces (Think it was feb-2008 ).
My truck was from the Corps of Engineers as well. Your idea regarding the model being a base for the Corps ordered truck makes a lot of sense.

I really need to get in touch with DD.

RGS20inophir

Too bad the truck has already been altered WAY beyond the original configuration. It would have been cool to restore it to a bolster truck but I fear that any SERIOUS weight on the rear bogie from a 5th wheel would really screw things up with the frame extensions. Darn it guys... you are giving me second thoughts on bobbing this deuce!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Too bad the truck has already been altered WAY beyond the original configuration. It would have been cool to restore it to a bolster truck but I fear that any SERIOUS weight on the rear bogie from a 5th wheel would really screw things up with the frame extensions. Darn it guys... you are giving me second thoughts on bobbing this deuce!
Why, should be fine, if needed shorten the rear past the axles back to stock, that would not be a big deal, there are a lot of long wheel base tractors, If done right, would LOOK GOOD. Also remember about EVERY mod like frame stretch, shorting, and about anything else (other then a bob butcher) has been done on a one or two truck need by the military, You can say "this is how it would have looked if the military needed a truck configured this way for a special use". We all have seen pics of special builds from the WAR PIGS on down.

As far as long wheel base tractors go , you ought to see some of the pole truck tractors in the oil fields, they are so long (even without the trailer) it take permits from TWO different states just to be on the road, they have two or three winches with rack behind the cab then a full flat bed 20'+ then a fifth wheel with ramps and a rolling tailboard.

RGS20inophir

Well, the last couple days I have gotten up the gumption to do something to the 54 other than look at it in the mornings as I sip my coffee.

Yesterday I cleaned out the crap that was in the tank, pulled all of the 12v electric pumps off of the truck, pulled all of the strange filters off the truck, and bought 25' of fuel hose to begin un-screwing the fuel system. The fuel system now bears some similarity to Figure 12, (TA 031102) in TM9-2320-209-34P (I will refer to this TM as TM-1 in the rest of this post). For some reason the shutoff valve (item 13) was bypassed, so I have kept it bypassed for now. It appears that this truck does have the vent line shutoff in figure 10, TA 031100 of TM-1.

It appears that the P.O. got ticked at the governor lines, so he cut them off and they were laying on the side of the engine bay. I figure since it is just regulating atmospheric air the truck should still run without the governor connected, so I left the nipples bare. The governor lines are shown in figure 113 of TM9-2320-209-20-2 (referred to as TM-2 for the rest of this post).

I pumped the priming lever shown in figure 117 of TM-2 for about 20 minutes and it never drew a drop out of the gas can I sat next to the pump on the ground. So I elected to go ahead and crank the truck to see if the mechanical advantage of the truck would draw fuel up the line. I traced the starter cable, and slaved the 54' off of the 72' with jumper cables and started cranking until my friend (standing on the fenderwell) screamed that fuel was coming out. Well then! Fuel is indeed getting pulled up! PROGRESS! I love it!

We connected the fuel line to the carb, and started cranking away. Nada. Not even a sputter. So it was time to get out the trusty DMM and start tracing the harness.

Sliding under the dash to find the main bus line from the battery to the ignition and generator lines revealed a multitude of sins that I didn't even consider. Someone has had a high old time under the dash with a pair of dikes, wire nuts, and butt splices. Let's also not forget that the original cloth wrapped wire has completely de-laminated in places. It was at this point that I was thinking WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO.

I pulled the headlight controller from the dash so I could actually see and work on the ignition switch. Pulled out a bunch of the wires from it and confirmed that yes, the switch does indeed still work. Found the bus line leading from the battery to the switch, and the line leading from the switch to the coil. Tested at the coil, and voila! 28.4V! Plugged everything in and started cranking again...

Reeeee REEEeeee Reeeee REEEEE REEEE COUGH reeeee Reeee REEEEEe Sputter REEEEE reeeee REEeeeeEEee cough.... you get the idea.

She didn't start.

So we started checking spark, good spark to #1, and it sure seems like the truck is building compression cause you can hear it on every chug. We played around with the carb until the sun went down and then decided it was time to start the grill, open a beer, and let the frustrations of the day melt.

I got some starting fluid last night and figured that I might be able to start it by myself today. A fortuitous turn of events meant that my classes tonight were cancelled. SWEET! So I doddled home, slaved the trucks, squirted a little starting fluid, hit the starter and CHUFF CHUFF... Reeee Reeee reeee reeee Reee Reeeee.... Nope.

Checked the firing order, yup, it is 1-5-3-6-2-4 with the #1 towards the back and assuming a clockwise rotation as one looks at the rotor from the top.Just as TM-2 shows in figure 140. However, it seems like there is a lot of play on the distributor housing.

So, this weekend I think I will pull the cap off, turn the truck over until I hit the 4º timing mark and check to make sure that everything lines up.

Progress! At least I hope.

Does anyone have another harness lying around somewhere collecting dust? If not, I guess I will be buying a ton of 14 gauge wire and starting over... because this truck is HACKED UP.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks